Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

What is the most expensive variety of orchid you have come across?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by The Orchidomaniac, Feb 2, 2021.

1. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if yall would like to share the highest orchid prices you've seen.
    I saw as $3500 Phalaenopsis gigantea once!

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Back in the early 1980's, a small number (mother plant and one or two of its offspring) of "blue" Phalaenopsis violacea was discovered in the wild and collected, encompassing the entire population. They were offered for sale for $35,000 - just shy of $95,000 in today's dollars.

I don't know who bought them or what the final price was, but considering those plants were the source of the genetics of all "blue" hybrids made since, it would have been one hell of an investment, if risky.

3. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Member

That is too rich for my blood... but now they are around 200 dollars.

4. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

I've recently been made aware of the house plant / aroid community. The amount people will pay for a variegated monstera blow my mind - occasionally upwards of $3000. They're not even that rare/challenging to grow/propagate, just over hyped and in high demand. I'm so thankful the orchids I like are generally still considered affordable

5. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

I have a friend who started growing variegated aroids (including this highly-prised Monstera) two years ago in his spare bathroom. A very simple and cheap setup. He made over 60k last year.

Alex Shepack likes this.
  6. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Back a few years ago I posted a $1800 Phragmipedium. I think is was Phrag. mem Dick Clement ‘cardinal’. 0CB92CF9-B1F5-453A-84FF-5219A3678694.png