Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

What do you do with a problem like Maria?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ricardo, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I survived the hurricane along with the 175 priceless captive Puerto Rican parrots that I take care of. We spent the hurricane inside a reinforced building in the middle of one of the most remote parts of the Island. The damage to the forest was horrendous. A large number of enormous trees fell on the way to the aviary, some pretty heavy machine had to be brought to open the way for water and supplies to arrive. I spent eight days completely isolated from the world except for a coworker that also spent the hurricane in the aviary. Right now thing are getting better although damage to the aviary was severe. We are cleaning and rebuilding. About half the orchids survived the storm because I brought them inside. My shade house was damaged when a tree fell on it. Most of the damage to my plants was sunburn due to the fact that there is no canopy to speak of. Communications are really, really bad, I am writing this at a hot spot forty minutes driving away from my home. The whole country is in bad shape, in a bit of tragicomedy the government announced 15% restoration of electrical energy just in time for a blackout that brought that number essentially to zero, again. Hopefully I will be able to return to the forum when things get better. for the moment, the essentials, food, water and gasoline take precedence. Perhaps by December we will see some improvement. Hera are some before and after photos of my house. My yard was covered with a foot deep layer of debris from the destroyed canopy, this included full sized mar14.jpg Mar5.jpg mar3.jpg mar14.jpg trees.

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

About half the wild birds at my location survived the hurricane, that is about eighty of them. For all we know they may be the sole surviving population in the whole world, we are working hard to keep them alive.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

RICARDO, great to hear from you!!!!!!! And know you are OK!!!

Such a tragedy that your whole island has endured. I suspect that what we imagine from afar is not nearly as bad as it actually is there. I wish all of you the best.

I admire the work you are doing with the birds. Your work will be more important now during the recovery.

Meanwhile ... we have a President that thinks climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese and goes to Puerto Rico and tosses paper towels to the crowd :mad:. It would be funny if it was a sitcom, not so funny when it isn't.

naoki likes this.
  4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Really great to hear from you! Thank you for the update, even if it is rather sad to hear. Stay safe and good luck.

5. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Very glad you are safe! I can't imagine the devastation. Makes me feel like an idiot for getting mad when a squirrel ate a Laelia this spring. Best of luck.

6. AnonYMouse

AnonYMouse aka Ree, the not-so-stealthy lurker

Glad you are okay!

Please stay safe and best of luck for the future

7. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Active Member

The first and second images show the devastation you have suffered. However you seem to have a positive attitude and I'm sure that over time you will succeed with your refurbishment.

8. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

Wonderful to hear that you are ok. This was terrible for you guys.Things will be getting better now,we hope.

9. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm glad to hear you made it through ok. I'm glad for the parrots as well, considering how perilous their situation is. I hope that recovery goes well for you; I know it will be a difficult path for PR in the near future.

10. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

What a nightmare !
    Ricardo, take care of yourself, and in time all will recover itself.

11. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, it is unimaginable power of nature. I'm glad that you are safe. Your house seems to be much better shape than the destroyed vegetation (and other photos of destroyed houses I saw)! I wonder how other non-human creatures can survive something like this....

12. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Glad you're OK. I've lived through tornados, hurricanes, nor-easters, and ice storms, but nothing like that!

Ricardo likes this.
  13. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Active Member

Ricardo, I posted this somewhere else on this site but if you can get plants into your country without quarantine like here in Australia just let me know and I will send you a list of Bulbos and if there is any you want or that you lost due to the hurrican I will send them to you free of charge so that you can build your collection uo a bit quicker.

Eric