Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

What a problem ! (Joking)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by annabanana1987, May 7, 2014.

1. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

After some lengthy inventory I have discovered im pushing 100 orchids! In a house ! I have 5-4 growing spots that are suitable for plants. This is not counting my other plants !
    I have a bunch of no id phaleasnopsis that i am saving for gift giving and what not once they turn for the better but my goodness! ! I had. No idea it was that many..

How many is too many? I dont think I've reached my too many point yet... but its coming close.
    I need a green house ♡

Thank you all for your help and support! How many orchids do you have ?
    I have mostly seddlings which is good gives me time untill they are massive plants . But I cant wait till we customise the house (it's a fixer upper) to make biult in shelves and hangers by all the windows

2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

You have too many when you have to sleep in a greenhouse!!!

RosieC and annabanana1987 like this.
  3. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

When you have to use the other credit card you're probably still in an acceptable amount of plants.

RosieC and annabanana1987 like this.
  4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

100 already! Wow. For me it isn't so much a number of plants but size. I started out with a variety of sizes and some really large plants. As time goes on I get rid of the big ones so I can have more miniatures. So, there are never too many orchids but you may have to shift priorities. ;) I lost track of numbers a long time ago.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  5. annabanana1987

Well my troy Myers shipment and my need to rescue the no id mini phaleasnopsis hasnt helped :-D
    But I will slow down , buying them even Honda they look. I made a list and im ganna keep it maintained so I know what i have . I need to save it to my computer. But I like hand written. Plus it helps me more to remeber the names and conditions I need to figure out which orchids are winter rested and which I have a good idea but I dont wanna mess this up!

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

When I started growing I put each new acquisition on its on index card (pre-computer days). When I got to 100 plants I realized this wasn't going to last. I keep careful track of my crosses, but have no list of the plants. Don't even know how many I have. Clearly I don't think it is enough.:eek:

harquinn1, ZWUM and annabanana1987 like this.
  7. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

At 100 plants, I was told its time for a green house. Have no idea how many are our there, but I bet Norma knows.

8. Daethen

Daethen Orchid Mom

I hit over 200 in the house, mostly seedlings. Then lost half of them one winter due to rot and bad conditions. Got a greenhouse last fall and am now starting to replace some of them that I really miss. They are doing 10 times better now. Now I just need more shelf space and less veggies taking up space.

9. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to keep meticulous records for each plant. It became work so I quit that and just enjoy them. I used to tie a piece of red mylar Christmas ribbon to the mounting wire of the plants that needed the dry winter rest. Mylar ribbon didn't fade and wasn't affected by water. That worked really well for me.

Mandy2705 and annabanana1987 like this.
  10. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Hahaha! It's funny how everyone started out, similarly tracking and keeping records of their plants. I used to do the same thing! After I ran out of window sill space I took over the garage and turned it into a grow room. I would maintain meticulous records of where I bought each plant, how much it cost, how often to water etc. etc. I would even take a pic if each plant and categorize them on my comp HA!!! Thank god I don't that anymore lol!

Eventually you'll figure out when you have too many for the house, then you'll build a greenhouse or grow space and then there is no limit!

11. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

There are three orchid varieties that I have the most of, over time, collected more in terms of numbers than different plants. Huh? For example, I have over 50 Phalaenopsis--most are one of a kind but in looking over my Phalaenopsis, I have eight Sederia japonica, but each plant has a different name. I have over 200 Vanda plants, but most of these Vanda are Neofinetia falcata. Within the Neofinetia group, I have many differently named plants but for example, I have five Higashidemiyako--which is my favorite named plant.

By virtue of all of these different plants with different names, I am keeping track of all of these plants provenance in a spreadsheet on an iPad. My two primary motivation is one, I have a tendency to keep buying plants that I find attractive, thinking I don't have it and come to find out I already had five of them (Higashidemiyako) and second, when I maintain my plants, I am often surprised by a plant's new growth and new development. It helps me understand when and why I got the plant by consulting my spreadsheet.

12. annabanana1987

Garage green house is doable for me its attached to the house :-D and we dont park the car in there !

13. annabanana1987

I need to get more Tec savey and find something to log everything it sounds like

14. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I use the labels to do my recording. I put the source/country, price, date of purchase, at a minimum. I use the back of the tag to record each repot date. Then if I have a plant in my hand, I can find out everything pertinent without going in to the house to look it up on the computer. I too buy things because I forgot I already had one (or two or six). Then you keep the best and call it a selected clone.:)

ZWUM and annabanana1987 like this.
  15. annabanana1987

I have found bigger tags are helpful, no I just have to make time and figure out the needs these lovely girls and boys

16. halkyarda

halkyarda New Member

I have six Phals, an oncidium psuedobulb (just being honest...) and a small Cattleya I think. I recently read about orchid "carrying capacity" and a man who used the landing under a skylight for some thirty orchids. I have about four good windows in my house so as much as I have tons of outdoor bright shade space I have to think about winter homes for them. So I am thinking of racking the windows to "go vertical"

From Anne in Ohio, USA

17. annabanana1987

Im thinking about making custom shelving / hangers since we are redoing the house and painting and all that fun stuff!

18. jayne.scanzano.3

jayne.scanzano.3 New Member

I'm like you. My collection started out small and am now up to 70 orchids. I just love the plants and are fun to grow. Happy growing!

19. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

I am at 35 orchids at the moment and I am trying not to buy anymore as I am super busy and don't always have time to care for them, but we will see if I can actually stick to that. About 10 of the, all micro minis are in my terrarium and the rest under a bank of T5s. I, like Kelly, had some big plants in the beginning but realized I could have more if I got rid of the big ones and focused on minis. My collection style is not to specialize in any one species or genus of plant, but rather to try and have as diverse of a collection as is possible to support in my growing space. I greatly favor species over hybrids. I think its more neat to grow something that exists out in nature and, in my opinion, species plants are generally more interesting looking than hybrids, which tend to be too flashy and overdone.

20. hbozeman

hbozeman New Member

I have between 200-250, mostly Phals. I grow on storage racks from Lowes with T-8's under each shelf. I use Evernote to keep track of purchase info, blooming frequency, pics, pollination, etc.