Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Vandas after the hurricane

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Steve B, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Steve B

Steve B Active Member Supporting Member

IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1038.JPG IMG_1037.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1032.JPG IMG_1048.JPG Here are some vanda hybrids after our recent hurricane.

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Your Vamdas seem to have weathered the hurricane unscathed.

3. Steve B

They went into the greenhouse out of the pool screen so they didn't get any big wind.

Kipper likes this.
  4. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Steve B, lovely flowers.
    Nicely grown, where are you located, sort of looks like where my parents lived in Florida or at least some where warmish where you can have a pool screen. enclosure?
    I have a big blue Vanda, very much like yours but without a label I figure it is one of the V. cuerulea hybd's, it was rescue from a big box store. Mine was outside all summer and it is in bloom right now as well. This is a little earlier than it usually blooms, must have been that I had it in a different location this summer.

5. Steve B

Yes I live 75miles north of Tampa.Vandas are my favorite among many others that I like almost as well. Vandas are pretty easy here in a pool cage as long as you don't let them get frozen like I did last November.But they have mostly recovered this summer remarkably well. I am impressed with their toughness under my care. I am restarting my breeding program as a fun hobby in retirement with mostly Vandas as subjects.Yes that blue one is a coerulea hybrid.
    Fortunately,I just finished a very sturdy greenhouse so I moved them in for several days and they were pretty ok for the hurricane as you see from the blooms.

6. Sheilak

Sheilak New Member

Beautiful. I struggle with caring for vandas here in hot, dry SW Texas. But......I keep trying!

7. Steve B

Yes dry is hard for them.They like humid but air around the roots,I believe.

8. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Steve B hi! You live not far from where my parents were, they were in Holiday, between New Port Richey and Tarpon Springs, they were about a mile from the gulf but with marsh and some woods in between. I wondered what kind of damage the hurricane had done in that area. Did your pool enclosure get any damage, up here in western NC the reports said that the winds were quite strong.

9. Steve B

We got lots of wind and rain and the eye went right over us,but the wind was only tropical storm level,they say. No damage but power was out for 6 days.it was hot and humid and tough for lots of people.Some people still don't have power yet.That has been our worst effect around here north of Tampa.

10. Ntoyoshima

Ntoyoshima New Member