Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

US equivalent for Seramis and Toresa

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by Marni, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I am interested in finding out if there is an equivalent product for either of these available in the US. Growers in the EU mention it but I don't know exactly what it is.

2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Marni, could Turface MVP substitute Seramis? I was looking into these for Cyps after Turface was mentioned here, but I haven't seen either of these (no local dealer), so I might be completely wrong.

I don't know what Toresa is, so I looked it up. This page mentions that old decayed choped wood chips can be used in place of Toresa. I'm not sure if he means composted bark or more decayed wood. Are you searching them for some terrestrials? I'm curious what it is, too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Marni

Yes, these were mention for use in a terrestrial mix. Checking a bit on your lead, I think it may just be a calcined clay or grog but of larger size than used in the ceramic industry. The Schultz Aquatic Mix is indicated as a substitute, but not sure that would be better than the pumice I currently use. Decayed wood doesn't sound to good to me. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

4. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

this post is very interesting for me , listening comparing seramis to something of similair in the USA

I take some information and I agree Marny

The "Seramis" is not easy to find in Italy too, we can take it in germany and near the border with it, yes is very good media but not so essential, we use it with Cypripedium but normally not with terrestrial, and it is very usefull, but in the absence we replace it with pomice medium and fine lava stone with good results, essential is instead the use of vermiculite in our climate zone and grow experience of Cypripediums

5. Marni

Thanks for you input, Novella. I think I will stay with the pumice and lava rock as you mention. I use both in my terrestrial mix now.

6. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

How terrestrial species do you mean ?

7. Marni

I use it for Habenaria (with some added potting soil), Pleione, some Gastrorchis, Altensteinia, Pelexia etc. I also use it for Promenaea, Coelogyne, some Lycaste. Does that answer your question?

8. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Marni, if it's of any help, I have been having great results with spathoglottis and habenaria in about a 50/50 mix of Orchiata #8 Precision and commercial peat-based potting soil (lately, I'm using Miracle-Gro Moisture-Control Potting Mix).

9. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Wow I have forgotten that you are Marni . We have more experiance with winter growing Mediterranean orchids. For some Habenaria I use also perlite Fine bark vermiculite .

10. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Wow I have forgotton that you are Marni . We have more experiance with winter growing Mediterranean orchids. For some Habenaria I use also perlite Fine bark vermiculite .

11. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Wow I have forgotton that you are Marni . We have more experiance with winter growing Mediterranean orchids. For some Habenaria I use also perlite Fine bark vermiculite .