Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Unknown Pleurothallid

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Apr 19, 2019.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

This nice little plant came to me as Pleurothallis sp. To me it looks like Specklinia picta. Opinions?

The ruler is metric.
    unknown plant-900.jpg unknown inflorescence-900.jpg unknown group2-900.jpg unknown close-600.jpg

DanaRaluca and Nisanisa like this.
  2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I don't know too much about them, but I took a look at Luer's vol. 28. He stresses that S. picta and S. grobyi are very difficult to distinguish since both species are wide-spread and show wide geographic variations. He did mention that S. picta has purple lines on the sepals. But looking at the illustrations, it does look really similar to S. picta. The illustration of S. grobyi seems to show rounded synsepal, and that of S. picta shows the shape similar to yours. Do you have access to Luer's description? If not, let me know.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, Naoki. I didn't realize that picta and grobyi could be that similar. I had dismissed S. grobyi for the above plant because of leaf shape and size. Perhaps I should not have been so quick to dismiss. Here is a quick phone photo of my S. grobyi. When time permits I will take a detailed close-up to compare.

I have some of Luer's volumes that I picked up in a used bookstore in Portland but I don't have #28. Volume 3 plate 44 shows Pleurothallis (subgen Specklinia) grobyi. My grobyi has a rounded, notched synsepal similar to that shown on the plate 44.
    grobyi.jpg