Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

unknown Aerangis

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Brian Brown, Apr 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Member

Flowering right now are two Aerangis plants. The first is a typical A. articulata, aerangis1.jpg but the other one, while similar, looks quite different to me. It came as "Aerangis stylosa", which it obviously is not. aerangis2.jpg
    Help please?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. RosieC

RosieC Member

Gorgeous!

3. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Hi Brian -- can you give us measurements? Flower height width spur length leaf width and length And a face on pic if the flowers. I have my suspicions but want to be able to confirm :)

4. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

those are two same plants...

5. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Member

I doubt it; one is 1/2 the size of the other and the flower shape is quite different, but maybe you are right. Another pic below- two of them side by side. More tomorrow. Maybe modesta?[​IMG]

6. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Thanks for the comparison shot. The size difference wasn't obvious from the first two images.

7. Brian Brown

Brian Brown Member

Sarah- the small flowered plant blooms are about 3 cm across; articulata 4 cm. Here is a photo of the smaller flower:

flower close.jpg

Now I think it looks like Aerangis modesta "MINI TYPE" pictured in Hillerman & Holst on pg. 131.

8. Pixietoe

Pixietoe Active Member

Over the last few years, a lot of European nurseries sold plants labelled A. stylosa which were identified as modesta. I read that in the French literature (following H. Perrier), plants of articulata were called stylosa. I guess that's where this is coming from.