Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Tuberolabium odoratissimum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Nisanisa, May 25, 2020.

1. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

There are four inflorescences, but this is the first to open. I don't detect any smell. It grows vigorously in a wood. And it's really love rain.

Attached Files:

2. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Nice little one. Thank you for sharing it

3. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Thanks Dana...
    And they last longer than what I thought. It's been six days since the first flower opened. And they still open till now

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

It is very nice. Odd that it would be named Tuberolabium odoratissimum and not be fragrant. Have you tried it at different times of day? Also, I checked the spelling in KEW. Shall I correct the spelling in the title?

5. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Thanks Marni
    Yes, correct it please. I might make mistakes, it such a long name.
    I still have three others spikes. i hope they will bloom in a time, I suppose the scent will be easier to detect. Also, we have rain almost every day. Do you think the rain affected the scent?

6. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Oh yes... I have just tried to smell it again. It is 06.25 am here. So, we have to smell it very close to detect the faint scent, which is not so easy due to the place where I mount the plant...
    It has very nice scent, so soft. I think I don't have enough vocabularies to define the scent.

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Nisa, I do know that one plant that I have (Cadetia chionantha) seems only to be fragrant around 11 am IF it gets watered. And even then it isn't overwhelming to me. I suspect that this sort of thing is timed for the pollinator.

8. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

Could be. So far I have never seen any pollinator around. Perhaps that is why the flowers last quite long?
    Thanks for correcting the title...

Marni likes this.