Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Trichosalpinx pergrata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Alex Shepack, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Alex Shepack

Alex Shepack Active Member

A genus I've ignored for far too long, I really love the size and shape of these flowers. Glad I snagged some photos before a slug cleared the whole plant in a single evening! _DSC9829.jpg _DSC9833.jpg

Sabinchen, dex356, GaryYG and 5 others like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is wonderful! I hope you caught the slug.

3. Alex Shepack

I caught that one red-handed. It's a constant battle though!

J E likes this.
  4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

How do you control slugs, Alex?

5. Alex Shepack

Honestly, very poorly...
    I have tried Sluggo but have limited success in the tents with all the mounts. I've tried putting little beer "traps" or cucumber slices around as well, but both of those only seem to work if the slugs are very close by. So usually I just check the plants every night and try to pull any snails or slugs I see.
    Any tricks or tips?

6. W. Malewa

W. Malewa Member

To patrol an hour after irrigation or rain, specifically after a dry period they then come out. They are also very fond of the orange peels, then after accidentally stepping on them, come later back for more as many are also accomplished in eating the corpses of their own specie. When in a more natural setting; do away with cats and dogs.

Alex Shepack likes this.
  7. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

When I was growing in an orchidarium, I used to manually inspect weekly. Currently, I have over 1000 plants so that would not be an option. I switched to a systemic molluscicide and seems to work. Not as good as I would like it to work, though.

J E likes this.
  8. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Orchid Nerd

I didn't know slugs and snails were cannibals, though I have heard they can kill and eat cockroaches (how they do it I will never know). They really seem to like Pleurothallid flowers, small ones in particular. My conditions are too dry for them, though, and I've only had mollusk damage a couple of times, though one time it was fatal.

9. Alex Shepack

Yeah, they are a major issue for me. Snails stress the plants, but the slugs can sometimes eat an entire plant in a night for me. I've lost a few that way. They're still way better than the lubber grasshoppers I had to deal with outside in Miami. Those could strip a full size plant in an afternoon.

It's becoming a problem for me. Fortunately all my mounts are pretty visible, but I don't inspect nearly as closely as I should. Do you find your molluscicide kills the bush snails too?

10. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

Snails are a big issue for me especially with miniatures they can destroy a whole plants. I inspect at night and eliminate any i find but that doesn't do much. For now the only treatment i use is hydrogen peroxide, it kills them and their eggs so soaking the plant in peroxide deluted with water helps keep their numbers down. But again it's not super effective. Also check for millipedes they come out at night and if you have small plants they will eat root tips and new growths.

Alex Shepack likes this.