Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Trichosalpinx dependens

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by spiro K., Dec 10, 2013.

1. spiro K.

spiro K. Well-Known Member

An easy plant from Colombia,with flowers loosely gathered under the leaves.
    Very pronounced Lepanthiform sheaths! IMG_5097 (640x538).jpg IMG_5102 (640x427).jpg

2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Interesting. The flowers have nice color. I appreciate that you showed the whole plant. It helps me put it into perspective.

3. lthoerle

lthoerle New Member

Spiro, from the entire margins of the sepals that I think I see here and the smoothly recurving lateral sepals, you might consider T. berlineri instead (a much finer thing, IMHO). If the margins are ciliate, then it's not T. berlineri. This is of interest because it would be a first from Colombia!

Marni likes this.
  4. spiro K.

spiro K. Well-Known Member

Lisa, I initially thought it was T.berlineri, but now I am of the opinion that its T.dependens.
    The sepals are ciliate, not very visible in the photo, but held against the light ,they are unmistakable.
    Even though T. berlineri is a highly variable species, all the pictures I've seen show a long,droopy scape.
    This plant has clustered flowers not extending greatly from the leaf, even in a young plant like this one.
    So , weighing all the evidence,in my (non-professional) opinion, its most probably the more common T.dependens.