Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Tolumnia sylvestris

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Jun 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I posted this 2 years ago but here it is again. I always look forward to this blooming,
    Grown very bright and intermediate to warm. I have taken many divisions from this plant and now wish that I had let it become a larger specimen. The flowers are about 3/4 inch across and the fans are about 2 inches across.
    Watered daily but dries quick.
    Tolumnia sylvestris close-800.jpg Tolumnia sylvestris inflorescence2-900.jpg Tolumnia sylvestris plant-900.jpg

2. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

This is a beautiful plant KellyW. It is a lovely blue color. Thanks for the flower AND the plant.

3. KellyW

Thanks, Matt. That first photo is a bit too blue and vivid. The second photo is closer to the real color.

4. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

First of all that plant is Insane!!! Wow
    Second, those blooms are magnificent. I love the light colour!!
    Beautiful!

5. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Great color!

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is wonderful. Sorry you put in the note about having taken too many pieces off. I would be in that line. Wonderful. When I went to Redlands I was hoping to get some Tolumnia species, but didn't come home with any.

7. nikkik

nikkik Active Member

Kelly, I love the complete package! You've given me a plant to add to "my list".

8. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Kelly that is excellent. I recd 2 plants labelled the same but the growths are substantially smaller. My fans are only about a half inch wide. Is this species variable in size or is mine more likely mislabled?

9. KellyW

Chad, when I first got mine the fans were tiny. It seems that with each successive growth the fans get a little larger. The species may also be variable in size but I only have the one clone ('El Gato' AM/SFOS).

10. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Great looking plant. On the list for sure.

11. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I recall, when I visited the Jardin Botanico in the capital of the Dominican Republic, that some bushes in the japanese garden had their branches full of Tolumnia plants that looked quite much like this one.

12. RosieC

RosieC Member

Really lovely flowers!

13. crazyforflowers

crazyforflowers Member

So beautiful. I am getting a small plant or plants, I should say.. Hopefully one day it it be blooming as yours...

14. Lauren

Lauren New Member

Amazing! I am obsessed with Tolumnias, though I'm not great at keeping them happy, you're clearly doing a much better job than I am.

15. Stephen Lam

Stephen Lam New Member

So wonderful! I also have interested to collect all color in Tolumnia but I never see this colour in Hong Kong. Mr. Kelly W. can you tell me where I can buy it on Orchid website? Thanks, Stephen

16. KellyW

Stephen, I'm sorry but I do not know who would have it that could ship to Hong Kong. Perhaps a seller from North or South America coming to the Honk Kong Orchid Expo could take a pre-order.

17. Stephen Lam

Stephen Lam New Member

Ooh...! Thanks for your quick response. I will try to ask HK Orchid seller help me to find in Taiwan & Japan.
    I am very fond of blue color orchid. I planted blue color of Phal., Laelia and Den. But the Den. Victoria Reginae is quite difficult to plant in HK such hot & humidity weather.
    Thanks Kelly.

18. noioi

noioi Member

sweety blue

19. Laura-jean

Laura-jean Member

So pertty

20. crazyforflowers

crazyforflowers Member

I am growing Den. Victoria reginae in South florida. 2 diiferent clones and bloomed for me 2 times this year. I do pot in pot method. Take a clay pot with no holes and place clay pellets or pebbles in it and fill it water upto 1/3. Then place the clay pot that has Den . VR in it and grow it shaded and wet. I was told by Andy of Andy's orchids that it will not grow for me. And infact I got Den. Gonzalezii because of that. Still had to try Den. VR and went ahead and bought from 2 different sources and this is the best I could come up with to keep roots cool. HTH.

Mr. KellyW, I hope you don't mind me writing on this thread. Thank you.