Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Tolumnia sylvestre ... compare to Alberto's T. hawksiana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Jun 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm posting this as a comparison to Alberto's hawksiana. There are obvious similarities but the primary difference seems to be the crenulated lip in the sylvestre and a smooth margin on the hawksiana lip. The sylvestre plant is very similar to Alberto's hawksiana (small fans) although mine is significantly smaller. I have the sylvestre growing on stick, tree fern, and an old weathered cow bone. All are in bloom now and the one on the tree fern is the best.
    Tolumnia sylvestre-900.jpg

2. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Very nice Kelly, hope mine looks this good.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I have seen Tol. variegata forms in its natural state that vary wildly in plant size and color. I have often wondered about the differences between variegata and related species such as hawkinsiana and sylvestris, the posts on these species are quite illuminating. This one is quite stricking because of its wonderful color and the crenulated lip. Thanks for posting this.

4. edub9

edub9 Member

I have just aquired one labeled Tolumnia sylvesterii 'Rich' - can you tell me anything about it? It is a scrambling super mini.

Attached Files:

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't tell you anything about that particular clone but the species is a climber/scrambler. I give mine lots of light but not full sun. I have all of mine mounted without any moss on the roots. It seems to do well on most any mount but the one I have on a tree fern totem has the largest fans. Since mine are mounted without moss they get daily summer water and in the winter every 2-3 days. Yours appear to be bloom sized so hopefully you will see spikes forming by early summer. In the early stages the spikes and new growths are hard to tell apart.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I just checked Alberto's post and the images are no longer available.