Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Tolumnia Pretty N Pink?

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Paul Mc, Dec 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Paul Mc

Paul Mc Member

I wasn't thinking and lost the tag on this one, so assuming its Pretty N Pink and not Pink Panther. Also, unfortunately snapped two other spikes off in mid growth, dang it!!!! Would have been awesome to see all the spikes bloom!!! (Sigh)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354976536.476654.jpg

2. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I have recently become interested in tolumnia! since they are so small yet have beautiful flowers of all kinds of colors! This is a beautiful flower Paul. Now that it is a year later, how is it doing? Can you provide some information on how you have grown it and if its re blooming for you?

Thank you.

3. Julie Kennon

Julie Kennon Member

This is gorgeous! And I have no idea what it's called...lot of help I am. I'm sorry about the loss of limbs that is sad:(

4. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I find them to be particularly susceptible to root rot if they stay too wet and get cool. But I suppose that if you consider that they are natives to tiny branches on shrubs growing on the windward sides of Caribbean islands, so get frequent warm rains followed immediately by gentle (sometimes not so gentle), warm "blow drying", it makes sense.

I have grown them in clay "thumb pots" with no medium, on cork bark, and on EcoWeb mounts.

5. MattWoelfsen

MattWoelfsen Active Member

I bought two Tolumnia Genting Orange from a vendor at the Three Rivers Orchid Show, in Fort Wayne, Indiana --three weeks ago. That vendor told me to water daily in the morning and let it dry out. It needs bright, in-direct light and cut the flower spike only when it turns brown. I have searched this forum for additional information, so thank you Ray for your cultural advice. This gives me confirmation that I should keep them in the warmer room where I grow Cattleya.

Normally I am interested in Neofinetia falcata but when I saw these plants at the show, I was intrigued at how similar in size they were to my Neos. but I also felt they could not have the same cultural requirements, even though they both come from islands.