Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Tolumnia bahamensis in southeast Florida

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by prem, Feb 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. prem

prem Wild Orchid Enthusiast

Photos taken during several different visits to an area along the Palm Beach/Martin County line where these orchids cling to a tenuous toehold in Florida:

Plant in situ in the rosemary bushes it calls home:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_plant01.jpg

Flowers emerging through the tops of the rosemary bushes:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_spikes_in_bush.jpg

A robust flower spike:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_mega_spike.jpg

A picturesque flower spike:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_spike.jpg

Zooming in closer:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_flower_closeup03.jpg

Extreme closeup:

awww.flnativeorchids.com_images_orchids_tolumnia_bahamensis_tolumnia_bahamensis_flower_closeup02.jpg

You can read more about this species on its profile page on my site:

Florida Dancing Lady Orchid at FLNativeOrchids.com

---Prem

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Very cool, Prem.

I don't know how you get the time to go on your orchid treks, but keep it up!

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice. Thanks for posting it.

4. prem

Ray, orchid treks are almost always a 'partial' family outing...I grab a few of the older kids to join along both as travel companions and photography assistants. If someone took a video of the antics we've gone through with diffusers, reflectors, flash units, etc. to get good shots in the field, it would be quite amusing. My teens-to-tweens are some of the most educated in botany that you will ever meet.

Kelly, thanks for your kind words.

---Prem

5. EdM

EdM Member in Good Standing

Those are beautiful, Prem, just beautiful. Is anyone attempting to re-establish this in other parts of its original area?

6. prem

Ed, the Atlanta Botanical Garden is working in conjunction with Jonathon Dickinson State Park to hand-pollinate flowers, harvest seed pods, grow seedlings in sterile culture, and then plant these out to shore up existing populations within the park, as well as establish new populations in suitable areas. The last time I was there to take the plant photographs, a population of established seedlings nearby seemed to be doing quite well.

I talked with the staff biologist at the park, and his big concern is that the species does not seem to be fire resistant, so a wildfire (or even a controlled burn) could mean the end of a population (they don't do controlled burns where the plants are found, but they can't do much about lightning-sparked fires). He wants to see many populations established in different suitable areas in the park to ensure that a few fire events do not wipe out all the plants in the park.

So, this is encouraging news for this species.

---Prem

7. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

As always, your orchid reporting is excellent and very enjoyable to read :clap:

8. prem

Thank you, Morabeza!

---Prem

9. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Wonderful photos!