Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

the other Jumellea comorensis....compare

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Kitty, Dec 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

I think the one grown with less light looks best, it's all about the roots baby! the higher lite @ 2500 ft.candle, the lower about 800. counted the bloom history on both, the higher lite one has bloomed 19 times w\4 buds coming. The lower has bloomed 24 times w\4 buds remember I bought them at the same time and were the same size. I think maybe the higher lite one made so many thin roots to help deal with the added stress, what do you think?

IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg

2. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

The contrast between the root mass of each is remarkable.

3. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Very illuminating comparison, Kitty, thanks for posting! Do you grow these fairly moist? I have one I got as a seedling a couple of years ago that has barely grown, I think I'm probably treating it wrong.

--Nat

4. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

yes I water them daily in the summer and twice a week in the winter. They have quite a few roots that aren't in the potting medium so I feel the need to water the exposed roots often. I bought them in 1&1\2 inch pots, when I up potted them I put them in baskets which they seem to really like. Do you have a green house?

5. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Hmmm...I'm definitely way underwatering, then. Mine is mounted on cork w/ some sphagnum and I douse it really good about twice a week, sometimes 3 times if it's lucky... I got it in a 1.5" pot in late March 2009 and the main growth is now about 8" long with a new growth that just started this summer and is now 2". I give it moderate light, about 2500 FC for 5-6 hours on a clear summer day, much less at other times. It has a couple of little nubs along the larger stem that look like they want to flower, but nothing yet. It's never grown a ton of roots, though when I pull back the sphagnum it looks like they're fairly branched under there. If I wasn't so lazy I would go take a picture and post it instead of expecting you to read this long description. :eek:

I wish I had a greenhouse, but right now I grow my 200-some orchids in a bunch of W-SW facing windows in two adjacent rooms of my house. Humidity indoors is pretty low this time of year, though I try to focus on species that don't mind it too much as long as they're watered.

--Nat