Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

The Habenaria rhodocheila complex - Some Hybrids

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by RustyExotics, Oct 15, 2019.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Here are some hybrids made only from members of the Habenaria rhodocheila complex. The four members are Hab. rhodocheila (orange, yellow-orange, scarlet, etc.), Hab. roebbelenii (scarlet-red, orange), Hab. xanthocheila (bright yellow), and Hab. erichmichelii (pink). Due to the difference in colors, many different, interesting combinations of color can be seen in the new grex. When hybridized, each has several characteristics that carry through (besides color) depending on the dominance which is really fascinating to see and compare that may lead to different flower size, reproductive structure organization, lip shape, hood size and color, etc.

First up is a primary hybrid called Habenaria Tanager (xanthocheila x rhodocheila). The coloration of this plant is really delightful, taking the orange coloration from rhodocheila and brightening it with xanthocheila. Size wise, the flowers and decent.

P1130785.JPG
    P1130799.JPG

This next hybrid is also new to me: Habenaria Hampson. This is another primary rhodocheila hybrid between Hab. rhodocheila and Hab. roebbelenii. The flower has decent size, and has a really nice orange coloration trimming some of the foliage, likely from Hab. roebbelenii.

P1150966.JPG
    P1150945.JPG

Next up is Habenaria Canary, which is a really interesting hybrid. It is Hab. rhodocheila crossed with Hab. Tanager, so it is, in a sense, an F2 of Hab. rhodocheila. This is quite cool, because Hab. rhodocheila has many different colors forms (separate of the members of the rhodocheila complex). As a result, this hybrid tends to have a large amount of different varieties. This is the simple "orange-red" form, which resembles the most common "orange" variety of Hab. rhodocheila, but with more red tones.
    I'm a little confused by this plant, however, due to the organization of the stigmatic processes. Hab. xanthocheila and rhodocheila have straight stigmatic processes that are parallel with the anthers, but xanthocheila's are longer. This plant, obviously, displays processes that jut out to the side, similar to Hab. erichmichelii. Along with that, the flower displays a very slight pink hue, which may also allude to erichmichelii playing a part in the genetics. For now, I'm attributing it to the fact that this is a first bloom, thus leaving some space for the flowers to "mature" in later years. However, This plant was purchased from Leon Glicenstein, whom I fully trust with the Habenaria rhodocheila complex. Regardless, here's the plant:

P1140199.JPG
    P1140203.JPG

The next hybrid is Habenaria Summer Tanager (Conure x roebbelenii). This is a really wonderful, complex hybrid due to Hab. Conure [xanthocheila x Hampson (rhodocheila x roebbelenii)]. The red coloration of Hab. roebbelenii is greatly intensified through the crosses, creation an absolutely magnificent neon-scarlet-orange color. It also has very large flowers for a rhodocheila complex hybrid, making them even more stunning. This was my favorite rhodocheila complex hybrid for a while.

P1150004.JPG
    P1140285.JPG

Finally, here's Habenaria Oriole (roebbelenii x xanthocheila). This is a first bloom for me, and I absolutely love it. The coloration is tough to capture, but in person it's a bright, yellow-orange (looks very yellow in the pictures, but they're really not far off). As usual, the flowers are larger due to the influence of Hab. roebbelenii which tends to broaden the lip of its hybrids.

P1150015.JPG
    P1150016.JPG

This next hybrid is very special. It's called Habaneria Trogon, and it was registered by Leon this year. The reason this plant is so special is because it is a true complex hybrid (hybrid x hybrid) and is technically 25% of each member of the rhodocheila complex. The cross is Hab. Tracey (rhodocheila x erichmichelii) x Hab. Oriole (roebbelenii x xanthocheila). The flowers aren't too distinct looking, to be honest, but the parentage alone makes this a truly exceptional hybrid in my opinion.

P1160005.JPG

As a bonus, I'm including Habenaria Pink Butterfly (erichmichelii x janellehayneiana). Hab. janellehayneiana is an extremely uncommon Habenaria found at the Mundeang waterfalls in Thailand. It is a jaw-dropping, pink flower with emerald green foliage and a elongated claw (isthmus of the lip) which caries through some on this hybrid. Along with that, the gradient pink AND the fragrance of Hab. erichmichelii carry through, which is spectacular alone.

P1160026.JPG
    P1160021.JPG

Foozil and Ricardo like this.
  2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Wonderful and instructive posts. I used to have Hab. erichmichaelii and it grew like a weed under my climatic conditions. Sadly it is gone with the wind.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great thread and great growing! Thanks.

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Great pictures and fantastic commentary. I have several of the same Habenaria list above. Now I will have to look at the more critically with your post in mind. Thanks!

5. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to the origin of the Pink Butterfly. I've been looking for the Hab. janellehayneiana for a while and there are none anywhere, so I am hoping whoever made the cross has them available.

6. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

7. RustyExotics

I've been doing the exact same with no luck. I got it from Leon Glicenstein, and he unfortunately will not sell any janellehayneiana. I don't remember if it was because he didn't have enough or if the plant didn't make it.

8. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Leon?What's company is he with now? I will have to contact him about getting some of these.

9. RustyExotics

He's not with any company at the moment, to my knowledge. I'd just contact him and see if he's got anything to sell.