Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Systemic for mealybugs?

Discussion in 'Issues, Disease and Pests' started by Mat Brutger, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger Member

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone recommend a systemic that does a good job on mealybugs? They're getting in some spots in my draculas and other plants growing in live moss that I just can't get with a spray anymore. I also have a large palm as a houseplant that has them, which I can't really spray well right now indoors and it's -18 here so I won't be brining it outside to spray anytime soon! I just use a garden sprayer for watering/treating plants, so I'm not looking for anything commercial grade/concentration.

Mat

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've used Safari in rotation with imidicloprid.

3. Mat Brutger

Mat Brutger Member

Thanks Marni!

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

I use imidaclopride and orthene

Mat Brutger likes this.
  5. Cor van Honk

Cor van Honk Member

An alternative is Cyhalothrin which is marketed in Europe by Compo as B58 N.
    I add the required number of drops to the osmosis water in which I submerge pots.
    I use it once a month as a prevention. No mealybugs here.

Mat Brutger likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

If you’re looking for effective, easy-to-acquire solutions, consider the “Bio Advanced (Bayer) 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, and Mite Control”, which is available at most Lowe’s or Home Depot.

The older version contained imidacloprid in addition tau-fluvalinate and tebuconazole, while the newer version does not. Both are highly effective.

We had a pyracantha in a difficult-to-access part of yard that developed such a bad mealy bug infection it looked like it had been completely covered with that “spray snow” stuff sold for Christmas decorating. The newer version clobbered them.

Whatever you use, apply it 3 times at 1-week intervals, thoroughly welling all plant surfaces and the growing media.

Mat Brutger likes this.