Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Struggling Mama Orchid with 3 Keikis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SParadise, Jun 19, 2020.

1. SParadise

SParadise New Member

Hi All!!
    I am new to the forum and have recently discovered that my previously thriving orchid is not doing so well. I attributed her growth to be a good sign and that is not very accurate. She has 3 keikis currently growing the largest has been there about 12 months, the smallest with the dying flower spike about 6 months. I recently repotted her and discovered she has minimal root growth, 3 1-2" roots. This was the first time I have repotted her since I got her as a gift, 3 years ago, so her roots were completely rotten.
    I am wondering if I should just cut off all the keiki's to save the mother? The tallest one seems mature enough to come off but the other two are quite young. Any suggestions are appreciated! or 1.jpg or 2.jpg

2. jameslee22

jameslee22 New Member

hi! i know very, very little about orchids so if anyone sees this, correct me if i'm wrong! i've known about keikis since i started researching on my own when mine produced a terminal spike that i mistook for new growth. what i read about keikis is that they're a last ditch effort for the plant to reproduce before they die. this could take anywhere from 9 months to 3 years. most mama plants produce at most three keiki's. it is recommended to transplant the keikis from the mother plant to their own pots after 8-9 months when they start to produce their own roots that are 2-3 inches long. that said, i wouldn't transplant yours yet. i also wouldn't repot the mother plant. the mother plants will die, that's their circle of life as they are expending all their energy to the keikis. it's no use to transplant it and try to save it. i would just focus on keeping it alive long enough to keep the keikis healthy before transplant. 12 months on the mama plant seems like a very long time from what i have read. i would take that one off first. as for the mom, there is no point trying to save her, especially if you missed the rotten roots. i would try to just salvage the keikis.