Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Strange Little Phal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Patricia Hampton, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. Patricia Hampton

Patricia Hampton New Member

Hi, Nice to meet you all. I have only had orchids for about five years now, so maybe there is nothing really odd about my little Phal, but I though I would ask. It is a small one, the flowers are purple with white edges. It was a prolific bloomer then put a spike up through its center. The spike turned into leaf and a flower spike. Another spike came out of that leaf which grew a leaf that looks like it's on a stick, and a spike with flowers. A friend of mine was pretty sure it would die after putting a spike out of the center. It has not only not died, but now looks like it is growing little plants between its leaves and just put up three more spikes. I have attached a photo. Is this unusual behavior for a Phal? I haven't seen it before but my experience is limited. Would appreciate comments.

Attached Files:

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Welcome, Patricia.

While not particularly common, what you're experiencing is not unheard of. Some strange genetic twist shifted the apical leaf meristem into an inflorescence, so it has now initiated new ones from the leaf axils.

Treat it normally, and it should be fine.

Patricia Hampton likes this.
  3. Patricia Hampton

Patricia Hampton New Member

Thank you so much!