Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Several Uncommon/rare species

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by The Orchidomaniac, Feb 26, 2021.

1. The Orchidomaniac

The Orchidomaniac Orchid Nerd

I recently purchased a Cattleya bicalhoi from Dan Newman at Hanging Gardens, and he threw in 3 extra specimens: a Cattleya sincorana, a Bulbophyllum alkmaarense, and a Cleisocentron gokusingii. I'd like to learn about the last three species, but I can't find much information on them, other than that the Cleisocentron has true blue flowers. Does anyone have info such as culture tips or facts about the plants? Does the Bulbophyllum smell bad?
    Also, I have unfortunate news about the sincorana; one of the pseudobulbs was black but dry, and when I potted it, it became furry with mold. I cut it off, dusted the whole plant with cinnamon, and then washed it with rubbing alcohol. The plant's lead broke off, but there are more live buds on it.

2. Matthew Speights

Matthew Speights New Member

Hey, I got a Bulbophyllum alkmaarense when I visited Hanging Gardens December 2019! Dan's a great guy. It has flowered once for me, but I didn't notice whether it had any smell (it was back in a corner in a terrarium). I grow it in a cold terrarium (55° at night to 75° in the day) with very high humidity. I almost killed it by giving it too much light. It definitely likes some shade.

The Orchidomaniac likes this.
  3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Bulbophyllum alkmaarense: I grow it both cool and intermediate, mount with little moisture retentive material and water almost daily. It is dry by the next day.
    Cattleya bicalhoi: This is a synonym for Laelia dayana. Here is a link to my website that gives cultural information.

Cleisocentron gokusingii: I've grown it in intermediate and also cool conditions. It can be grown mounted but I've always grown it potted, usually in medium or fine bark but also one in moss. Don't let them go dry for any length of time. I use dilute fertilizer at most waterings. Grow in moderate to bright light.

The Orchidomaniac likes this.