Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Sedirea japonica

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Matt, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Matt

Matt Member

I used to work for an airline and was able to fly basically for free. It was a very low paying job but was worth it for the benefits. For my first solo overseas trip I chose to go to The International Orchid Show (TIOS) in Taiwan. I knew about the show from reading ORCHIDS magazine over the years. Also Taiwan is pretty easy to get to from San Francisco.

I bought this orchid at the show as a small seedling. I think it was $5 USD? That was in 2013. It bloomed for the first time in 2015 and has consistently done so every late May - early June. I think that this is the Taiwan variation but I don’t really know for sure. Whenever it blooms I reminisce about that trip :)

F0926524-112E-4972-BB60-C31DBF373FA5.jpeg 298E3C53-96DD-48AC-97CD-BB57905C0D01.jpeg B9E33F3A-D164-43C4-B4F8-C2EE877C4467.jpeg

wpinnix, Nisanisa and Arne like this.
  2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! I can not comment on the variation but it is lovely:).

Interesting set up with the mounting. How do you maintain all of that?

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I had the same question that Darlene did.

4. Matt

Matt Member

It is almost entirely automated. I have a reptile fogger and a drip irrigation system running from the same reservoir. The fog is mainly for show. I use Kasa smart plugs and Google Home for watering and supplemental light.The area closest to the wall does not get very good light.

The structure behind the plants is a corner shower caddy. I believe it was $10 at Marshalls. Figured it must be waterproof if it's meant for the shower.

The tricky part has been getting the watering just right. I currently have it set to drip for 1 minute at sunrise. It's usually completely dry by 3pm, depending on the weather.

I made this area for my hadrolaelias, tolumnia, encyclia and euchile. So far it has worked out great

DarleneJay, Raven and Marni like this.