Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Schoenorchis Seidenfadenii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by fernflower, Jan 7, 2021.

1. fernflower

fernflower New Member

Hello everyone!
    I moved internationally 3 years ago, and I am starting to rebuild my collection with this little cutie (although I am incredibly blessed to already have rattlesnake plantains and Cypripedium acaule growing wild on our property!)
    This species is new to me, so it anybody has some good information / tips / tricks / advice - I would love to hear it!
    Thank you, and hope you are all having a wonderful day! C6120C78-9B26-4859-BFFC-266FDCEA356D.jpeg

J E and Sabinchen like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. These small Schoenorchis species do best where they are intermediate to warm and dry quickly. Then they need to stay dry for a few days. Moss around the roots and too frequent watering will lead to decline. I hang them on baskets where I grow cattleyas and water them on the same schedule as the cattleyas. Good luck!

J E and fernflower like this.
  3. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Unlike Marni, I grow this one every other day and it receives very strong air movement, so it is dry within several hours. My humidity is probably also lower than Marni's.

fernflower likes this.
  4. fernflower

fernflower New Member

Thank you Marni, solid info! my first instinct was to water it every single day, I'm so glad that you are saying this! (And of course, this will allow for a lazier life, which is great!)

Raven - Thank you for the information! My humidity is pretty low during winter (I am a home grower, and heating will do that!)
    I just watered it upon opening the container, and it took it about 5 hours to dry. (It was in the FedEx system for almost three days, so I guessed it could use a drink ;).
    I guess I'll try the once every three days approach and see how it does!

Oh, and that's a lovely Dracula you've got in your profile photo. It's been pretty much a wet dream of mine for the past 15 years to keep cool-growing orchids - but with summers here hitting 90's I don't see it happening any time soon, so I live vicariously through others, hehe. Oh well. At least I'll be able to finally grow tiny warm-loving miniatures to my heart's content!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021