Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Schoenorchis gemmata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Apr 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I've posted this species before, but my two plants are getting to be good sized and worthy of a new post. The first two images are of one clone and the other clone is in the next post. Both plants are in bloom all or almost all year with a really great blooming in the late winter/spring.
    sch.gemmata.ccm#1.closer.jpg sch.gemmata.ccm#1.ruler.jpg

2. Marni

The other clone.
    sch.gemmata..0129.#2.jpg

3. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Pretty species, Marni! Interesting to see the two clones, too, have you ever crossed them?

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Wowee, they are both spectacular. I especially like the aesthetics of the first one.

5. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My favorite Schoenorchis species. Nice plants and nice blooming!

Mine is in bloom now also and it only blooms at this tiome of the year. It is nice to know it can bloom year round.

6. Marni

Thanks, folks. I have crossed them and I can tell you that was not an easy feat. It is in flask now and will be ready this year. Both this and my Sch. juncifolia now bloom throughout the year, but didn't do that until they got to be good sized plants. Tom, how big is you plant? I keep hoping that if I grow Schoenorchis buddleiflora long enough it will give me flowers more than once a year, but I am loosing hope as it gets bigger and bigger and just does the once a year thing.

7. Tom-DE

Marni, my gemamata has five blooming growths and two little ones. My little buddleiflora also blooms once a year(in late fall) and my juncifolia is in buds now(also only blooms once a year under my condition).

I know what you meant, the gemmata flower is about 1/10th of inch and it definitely is not an easy task to pollinate the flowers

8. cxcanh

cxcanh Member

One of mine also blooming now and some more will coming soon.

9. Marni

Hi cxcahn, good to "see" you. Do yours bloom only at one time of year? And have you ever seen them in situ? I think I saw it in Bhutan, but it wasn't in bloom so I am only guessing.

10. Tom-DE

Marni, you might have to send cxcahn a PM. Most likely he hasl never read your last message.

11. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Absolutely fabulous! Both of them are incredible!

12. Zack

Zack Will work for plants Supporting Member

The full-plant photographs are very impressive, not to mention beautiful!

13. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Tremendous blooming! What marvellous specimens.

14. Mike Sanderson

Mike Sanderson New Member

Hello Marni,

It was your (!) Schoenorchis gemmata that my wife and I saw at the recent POE that
    put me on the path to try to buy one, and raise it in our S. F. apt. It's just so beautiful,
    and precious - well done! I asked around POE to find the person I should talk to about
    purchasing one of these - they said to find "Marni Turkel" - and pointed me in the right
    direction. On the way to locating you I asked another vendor (Dan Newman), who knew
    you, but offered one of his Schoenorchis gemmatas to me to buy (sorry, I did not get
    the chance then to meet you). I have been caring for it since we brought it home and
    have been dutifully 'dipping' it in water for a few seconds each morning - it seems to be
    quite happy. We are looking forward to its blooms. (Finally, my questions): we will be
    heading out in a couple months for a 10 day vacation. How do you (or other orchid
    fans) care for their plants re proper watering while away? I have read a few sites where
    people use terrariums - which seems a good choice. Do you have any recommendations?
    Many thanks for your time - and, thanks again for your lovely Schoenorchis gemmata which
    inspired us to dive into caring for our own orchid display here, in our S. F. apt. (!)

15. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

I must agree Marni, that was a fabulous display, and an amazing gemmata! Hands down my favorite display at POE.

Marni likes this.
  16. Marni

Hi Mike, Dan had gotten flasks from me, so the plant you now have is a seedling of the plants you saw in my exhibit. As to what to do while you are on vacation, I may not be the best person to answer since it has been many years since I was growing in the house. This doesn't need really high humidity to do well. Is it potted or mounted? If it is potted it could probably do fine with a good soaking before you leave. If it is mounted it may need extra moisture during your absence. A terrarium may be a good solution as the humidity would be higher.

Thanks, Bill.

17. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

No photos of Marni's display?

Mike, I have used MistKing for 10-14 day. I temporarily moved all mounted ones in the bath tub, and set MistKing on there.

18. Marni

Naoki, I was meaning to take a lot of photos, but I was working in a friend's booth (and selling my flasks) so saw very little of it. I did take a video on my phone, but have to figure out how to get it posted if it is worth seeing.

naoki likes this.
  19. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Marni, I hope you don't mind me posting my poor phone photos of your display. The Schoenorchis gemmata is in the foreground (far left) of the first photo. I was in awe of the entire display. Amazing job.
    Marni display 1-900.jpg Marni display 2-900.jpg

naoki likes this.
  20. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, amazing, indeed! It looks like S. gemmata became 3x bigger in the 4 years!