Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Sad News

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KellyW, Jan 13, 2019.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of John Klinger. John passed away early this morning at home with many family members present. He had been fighting cancer.

John had been growing orchids since he was a teenager and was one of the original members of this forum. He was an active member of the Umpqua Orchid Society in Roseburg, Oregon and for several years had served as their President.

John knew he would not be able to care for his orchids much longer so, about 2 weeks ago, he sold his entire collection.

John was a friend of mine and was a wonderful, generous person. I will miss him.

2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that news Kelly.

3. Nisanisa

Nisanisa Active Member

I am so sorry to hear this

4. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

John has been a long-time friend and customer. I'm really sorry to hear that.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear that. He mentioned that the seeds of Cynorkis baronii which I sent him last summer would give him something to look forward during his battle. I was hoping for his recovery...

6. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

That’s very unfortunate. I met John a few times and even negated my non vegetarian diet because he came down with smoked salmon. Which was amazing.

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

John has been to visit several times over the years when he and his wife were going south to visit grand kids. I've enjoyed each time they were here. He was very interested in terrestrials and we exchanged plants. He will be missed.

8. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I am so sad the hear this. Over the past year, I have gotten know John. He was a great person, who will be missed.