Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Robiquetia species, or something else?

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by tropicbreeze, Sep 30, 2018.

1. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze New Member

I thought this was Robiquetia gracilistipes but the few photos I've found on the net look different. This one hasn't produced long stems either. The strap-like leaves are about 120mm long, 30mm at the widest, only 4 to 5 leaves at a time. Flowers are about 8mm across. Also checked out Saccolabiopsis but nothing there seems to match.
    gwn18092235.jpg
    gwn18093064.jpg
    gwn18093062.jpg

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

A gastrochilus, perhaps?

3. carl

carl Active Member

Looks like that to me, too.

4. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked Gastrochilus but never came up with any species that matched. But an interesting find - the structure of the column in Gastrochilus flabelliformis was incredibly similar to my mystery orchid. I combined close ups of both (Gasterochilus on the left).
    combined.jpg

Only problem is that the general structure of Gastrochilus flowers differs from mine. The labellum in mine is developed into a "pitcher", which is a characteristic of Robiquetia (commonly called "pitcher orchids". The labellum in Gasterochilus is developed into more of a cup (or not even a "cup" in some species). I think I need a taxonomist.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Perhaps a Cleisostoma?

6. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze New Member

Thanks Kelly, I went through images of all the Cleisostoma I could find and still drew a blank. So I ended up using an interactive key on the internet and reduced the candidate species to four. Happily one of them turned out to be my mystery orchid - Pomatocalpa macphersonii, Blotched Bladder Orchid. Not a Pitcher" orchid but a "Bladder" orchid.

Description
    Epiphytic or lithophytic herb forming small clumps. Plants usually consisting of single growth with thick cord-like roots. Stem semi-pendulous to pendulous, 5-10 cm long, flattened. Leaves 2-8, crowded along stem, widely spreading, prostrate to pendulous, distichous, alternate, sessile, bases sheathing stem and imbricate; lamina oblong, 15-25 cm x 3-3.5 cm, dark green, thin-textured but stiff, main vein ridged beneath, apex deeply unequally emarginate. Inflorescence an axillary raceme, decurved, 15-40 mm long, stiff; pedicels 3-5 mm long. Flowers 3-30, resupinate, porrect to nodding, cupped, not spreading widely, 7-10 mm x 7-10 mm, yellow with red blotches. Sepals and petals incurved. Dorsal sepal oblong to obovate, 3-5 mm x 2.5-3 mm. Lateral sepals free, oblong to obovate, falcate, 3-5 mm x 2.5-3 mm, divergent. Petals 3.5-4.5 mm x 2-2.5 mm. Labellum 3-4 mm x 4-5 mm, white with red blotches, 3-lobed; lateral lobes 0.5 mm x 2 mm, flat, erect; midlobe decurved, fleshy; spur 2 mm long, obtuse, apex enlarged. Column 3 mm long, thicker at the base. Column foot absent. Capsules porrect, dehiscent.

Ecology
    Occurs in rainforests, especially in lowland rainforests, growing on trees and often seen projecting at right-angles from tree trunks and larger branches.

Flowering period: July-October (southern hemisphere).

Marni likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Acampe?

8. tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze New Member

Thanks for the input Ray. I did check Acampe but none of them have a 'bladder' type of labellum although some of the colour patterns are similar. It's definitely Pomatocalpa macphersonii.

gwn18100441.jpg