Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Redlands 2011

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by Markedg, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Markedg

Markedg New Member

Hi All,

I live in Dublin, Ireland and I am thinking about going to the Redlands Orchid Festival this May. I have been growing orchids for the last few years in my 10x 20 foot greenhouse with good success. We really do not have any orchid shows, festivals, that would compare with redlands and I would like to treat myself this year.

Looking through this, and other forums, I have see that Redland is held in high esteem. Before I go ahead and book flights, car, etc, I hope someone may be able to answer a few questions for me.

Has anyone living outside of the US, have had any issues with getting the relevant export permits for the plants I may want to buy? I know that the relevant US authorities will be there to write those permits and I will get the relevant import permits from Ireland. Can you buy plants from any of the vendors that are attending, or are you limited to certain sellers? Are there any vendors that you would recommend highly? What about hotels that are near to the redlands site?

I know that I have asked a lot of questions, but I would like to get an idea on the above before I go ahead and book flights, car and hotels. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your time.

2. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

The US will not put any restrictions on any plants leaving the country. All will be based on your countries import laws, and whether they adhere to CITES regulations. So I would be more concerned about what you can get into your country.
    This is a wonderful festival. Mainly for shopping. There is a small display tent of orchids and there is AOS judging.
    Keep in mind that is fairly hot in Florida in May. When I was there it was about 90F and very humid.
    There are just a few hotels in the area. You can probably do an internet search and look up reviews. A very basic motel room is about $70 USD. Of course if you have money there will be more expensive hotels in the area. You will probably want to rent a car as the Redlands area is about 30-40 minutes from the airport.

I hope this helps!
    Pete

3. abaxter

abaxter New Member

Bring anti-bug stuff and sun screen. A wide brimmed hat isn't
    a bad idea either. It's VERY hot and humid.

4. AHAB

AHAB New Member

Vendors for 2011?

5. Markedg

Markedg New Member

I have checked with the agricultural dept in Ireland, and importing them should be no problem. One last question is, is there any charge by the US dept of agriculture for writing the required phyto and cites documents? TIA

6. mini-catts

mini-catts Member

You should write to the promoters of this event - either Martin or his son Bart Motes. They also promote the Tamiami Festival as well. I'm not so sure they will provide cites...usually each vendor has to provide cites documents. They may have agricultural inspectors to provide phyto though.

Pete.