Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Psychopsis sanderae and Inobulbums

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Dave The Scientist, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

Hi Everybody,
    Does any one know of a source of Psychopsis sanderae and either of the Inobulbum species (munificum or muricatum) or have one they are willing to part with? Additionally does anyone know if I.munificum or I. muricatum

2. Tschimm

Tschimm New Member

Inobulbon is Dendrobium now.
    I got a munificum from Schwerter a few weeks ago, but I'm sure you'll find one that's closer to you. Good luck. It is such a weird looking plant with all the hair on the pseudobulbs

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi Dave. It appears that part of your post is missing. Did you edit it since last night?

I have I. munificum and it is not a small plant. On a mature plant the pbulbs are 4+" and the leaves are up to about 12". Currently my plant measures about 30" across. When in bloom the spikes are arching pendulous and tend to take up room as well. This species has a reputation for slow growth and being difficult to bloom. I usually get one new pbulb per year but last year was rewarded with two. In my limited experience, the pseudobulbs will bloom for at least 2 years but perhaps more. Once mine started blooming it has done so reliably. Personally, I find this a fascinating species and gladly give it the space it needs even in my small greenhouse.

I treat it like any other warmth and sun-loving Dendrobium, such as D. nobile, with a drier winter but not really a dry rest.

Oh, BTW, I purchased mine from Andy's probably 10 years ago.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave, I don't know if you are interested in flasks? I provided I. munificum x self seed to Troy Meyer and there are now 10 flasks in the replate stage. However, all are reserved. If you are interested you could get on the waiting list or the list to notify flask recipients that you would like a plant.

There is occasionally a plant pop up on Ebay, too.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  5. Tyson

Tyson Ex-Situ

Hey Dave,
    The only Psychopsis sanderae which I'm aware of is in flask at this place in Peru : BIORCHIDTROPIC

I'm also seeking this taxa and would be interested in collaborating if you order from them, or find others available!

6. Dave The Scientist

Dave The Scientist Active Member

Hi Kelly,
    Yes you are correct, part of my post was cut off.I didn't edit it though so I am not sure what happened. The cut off part went something like"Additionally does anyone know if I.munificum or I. muricatum is smaller? Can someone clear up the status of Inobulbon layardii? Is it just a synonym of Bulb. longiflorum? " It sounds like Den. munificum isn't good plant for me at the moment with my tiny growing space. Does anyone know the size of Den. muricatum? Its hard to judge from pictures online. Or baring that, are there any other bristly Dendrobiums out there?

Hi Tyson,

I might be interested in collaborating with you on getting some flasks, but I have no experience with growing from flasks. Could someone tell me a little more about that?

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Dave, I have a page on my website where I discuss deflasking. It might be of some help.

Tyson and annabanana1987 like this.
  8. Tyson

Tyson Ex-Situ

Let me know, Dave. I've always used Troy Meyer's deflasking protocol on his conservatory website. I bag the pots with holes in the bags, and tear the holes wider over time. I've been using the fungicide Daconil in the moss with good results, but am currently trying out a sample probiotic I received from first Ray, and may switch to that.

Deflasking Psychopsis versteegiana was par-for-the-course, I'd say. I've never grown sanderae but others in the genus seem rather sensitive to water and air circulation conditions, but can be adapted to most temperature and light conditions.

9. Stanhopeus

Stanhopeus Member

A friendly 'Hello' to all of you.
    There are 4 species in Psychopsis ... - all said to be quite similar except minor details.
    I grow P. versteegiana.
    Could anyone advise of a link that shows the relevant differences with real clarity ?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Tyson likes this.
  10. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Contact Louisiana Orchid Connection. They had I. munificum seedlings last I was there.

11. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Some of the differences in the Psychopsis are in the inflorescence. Some are flat, others round. Which? I don't remember anymore.

Tyson likes this.