Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Psychilis dodii.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, May 19, 2022.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a relatively recent addition to my collection and it is turning out to be a favorite. The inflorescence continues to bloom over a long period of time with itermittent flushes of long lasting flowers. And it has the fragrance of grape juice. The tallest spike is 22" from the top of the plant. If anyone has pollen to share, please let me know.

Psychilus.dodii.9062.flws.2.jpg
    Psychilus.dodii.9062.flws.1.jpg

Psychilus.dodii.9062.spike.1.jpg

Psychilus.dodii.9062.habit.jpg

2. Alex Shepack

Alex Shepack Active Member

I love it! I just got a seedling of this at the SEPOS show, despite knowing that I'll never be able to fit it in a tent once its full sized!
    What temperatures are you growing it at? Mine seems okay at intermediate, but I wonder if it would be happier at hotter temps.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

The elevation range suggests a warmer grower. I was given this plant last year. Before I got it it was grown outside in the San Francisco Bay Area, in one of the warmer parts of the area. So it was getting cold nights, certainly down into the low 40"s some of the time. Summers are warm/hot during some of the days and it cools off at night. He grows some amazing plants with the extremes of temperature. He waters every day.

I don't have the extremes he has in the my greenhouse, but it has been in the high 40's to low 50's this last winter with days in the 70's. It is now getting 60 at night and low 80's during the days. I don't really know what is ideal what is ideal. Good luck!

Alex Shepack likes this.
  4. Alex Shepack

Alex Shepack Active Member

Thanks Marni! That gives me a lot more confidence that I won't murder it (at least, not because of temperatures!).