Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Problematic orchids

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by Boytjie, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Anybody else have a particular species they're really attracted to, but for some reason just can't get any success with? For me it's Dendrobium laevifolium. I'm in the process of killing my third (and final) one. I just could never get the knack for making it thrive, no matter what I've tried.
    - Stephen

2. midraj

midraj New Member

For me, it's been the ladies slipper group. I love their different shapes and colors, but I can never get it to grow new growth and the growth I get the plant with lives out it's life until it fades usually in about 3 years.......

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

Most Paphipedium of the multiflora group grow well for me except for the painful exception of Paph sanderianum.

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Brassavola nodosa. It's supposed to be easy but I kill them.

5. Sean Houtman

Sean Houtman Active Member

Anything related to the Zygos will immediately decline and expire for me.

6. Kermie

Kermie Tadpole Supporting Member

I've never been able to grow tolumnias.
    But the list of things I've tried multiple times and been unsuccessful at is quite long.

7. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Cattleya aclandiae-composted twice. I can't grow a Catt. for the life of me so I don't bother. Most of my plants grow cool and damp.
    Maybe I should have came to that realization before I just got back from buying a Sophronitis coccinea var. aurea!!

8. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Hang tough Kelly, I will come to our rescue if you are interested in trying again.

9. RadioFreeKirkwood

RadioFreeKirkwood chloroplast envy Supporting Member

Aerangis citrata, The best I can do is kill them very slowly.

10. Photosynthetic

Photosynthetic New Member

I've killed a couple of laevifoliums (laevifolia?) too, but have had even worse luck with unicums. Never again.

11. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Mine is a rather long list, but I'll stick to a few of the dendrobiums that come to mind. Dendrobium spectatissimum, Dendrobium lowii, Dendrobium senile. Out of sight, out of mind, so even more irritating may be species I can grow really well, but never get them to bloom.:mad:

annabanana1987 likes this.
  12. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Lepanthes telipogoniflora. I've had a few last a month or two and even grow well. Unfortunately there is always something I couldn't control that will devastate them within an hour or so. A spike in temperature once. Growing in a case and didn't think about the 4 longest days in summer my apartment actually gets 5 minutes of sun fried another. Humidity dropped another time in a case when my fan didn't cycle off. This time I've got it in a closed jar. It looks great a month later, its growing.

Find solace that laevifolium isn't an easy plant to flower. I'm a little upset about my Den prasinum. It sorta grows but not with increase. I feel like I may just need to get a nice strong one to start over with though.

13. Seattle Steve

Seattle Steve Member

Renanthera citrina. I have no idea what it wants. I have read many blogs and webpages. If I follow what they say, the leaf tips turn yellow, then brown. I grow it under lights and if I move it into the area with cattleyas it seem to deteriorate. If I move it back with the phals, it starts to perk up. It is supposed to love light. I am beggining to think it was mislabeled and is some other kind of plant.

14. RosieC

RosieC Member

Not a species, but Burrageara Nelly Isler is mine. I grow other intergeneric oncidium/miltonia types but this one just doesn't like me.

I had one, it started to die. Someone gave me a second to replace it. The second one did OK for the summer, then declined and died over the winter. The first was clinging on still but then that finally gave up the ghost as well.

So in November I was at a show and bought 6 plug plants. 3 oncidium intergenerics and 3 cymbidiums. All of them are doing great... except the Nelly Isler whose new growth it was bought with is now dead, and the remaining bulb doesn't look good. Don't know what it is with this one... it just doesn't want to live for me!:mad:

15. annabanana1987

annabanana1987 Active Member

I maybe the strange one here. but most of the time , I just like the plants especially the dendrobium, and anything with bulbs. I like rescued plants. But I have bought a could plants if they die, I will pick up some extra shifts and buy again :-D im not yet willing to let go

16. edub9

edub9 Member

Ionopsis Utricularioides Florida Native, I always seem to rot them due to poor air circulation.
    However I do have a couple Tolumnia that do great but never bloom including one specimen plant.

Chiloschista parishii or ANY Chiloschista for that matter - Never last over 1 to 2 years for me.
    Angraecum germinyanum - Have never purchased a healthy one, they are usually seedlings or sick when I get them.

Schoenorchis fragrans - Can keep them and bloom them but succomb to crown rot.
    I can usually only keep them for 2 blooming cycles.

Sad they always seem to pass away, I love these.

Mostly I have severe issues with spider mites and cottony scale due to my growing space being so small and not good enough air circulation.