Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Polystachya parva

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Aug 20, 2020.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from Afri Orchids last year, and wasn't sure it was going to make it. But it grew a little bit this spring/summer, and it made a little bit of flowers. It is a small plant (1" pseudobulbs), but I hope it will keep growing.

P8200095.jpg
    P8200104.jpg
    P8200077.jpg

GaryYG, J E, leo and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

What a fun little Polystachya! Is it fragrant?

3. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Marni, I haven't detect any fragrance. I'll check at the different time of day, too. The flowers are much smaller than I expected (about 7mm tall), but they are cute!

4. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Naoki,

I got one of these last year too...it was only $10 USD, so why not. I have been growing mine mounted and very bright. I have 5 new growths with short pseudobulbs, but no buds or blooms yet.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, yours is doing much better! I have moved it to a brighter spot this spring, so I hope it will do better next year. I haven't researched about this species. Do you know if it prefers winter rest? I think mine dropped leaves last winter, but I'm not sure if it is normal or not.

6. Chuck-NH

I read somewhere that they live in exposed montane environments. Mine also partially dropped leaves in the Winter, but was also starting new growth. I did cut back water, but not drastically. I wonder if Laurens would know about a defined dry rest?

7. Chuck-NH

Mine is finally in bloom...it is grown it direct sun (along side Sophronitis).
    CC074236-B4B3-4E10-AA44-0B51AE626FD3.jpeg 8C9C73B2-C884-4C09-A350-C31ACE051DD9.jpeg

J E, GaryYG, Marni and 1 other person like this.
  8. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is great Chuck!