Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Poll Question: Vendors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ZWUM, May 31, 2014.

1. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

I'd like to do a little poll regarding everyone's favorite vendors. I'm doing this to get a feel for which vendors would motivate you to go to a show. So if there is/are some vendor(s) out there that you'd love to see at a show please let me know! Feel free to list as many vendors as you'd like. If you could please separate them into the two categories below. Thanks for any and all input!

Who are the most desirable or favorite US vendors?

Who are the most desirable or favorite International vendors?

2. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Haha......no one wants to reveal the secret plant source.:D

Okay, I like Tom , Ron, Lynn, perhaps Martha too;) What are yours, Zach.

3. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Haha! That's what I was thinking! I like Andy's, Mountain, J&L, international I like Ooi's, Ecugenera, Gustavo, Far East. The reason I'm asking is to find out what vendors would really help draw people to a show. I think a better variety of quality vendors who you don't usually see would attract a lot more people.

4. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would love to see the Brazilian vendors bring in some odd/unusual Brazilian orchid species to the shows. got anyone in mind?

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I agree with you, Tom. AWZ, Floralia, and Bella Vista come to Redland, and they are great for Catt/Laelia. But they don't bring other unusual species. AWZ has Pseudolaelia, which is relatively uncommon in the US, though.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I talked to several Brazilian vendors recently and am told that it is very expensive to add a species to CITES so they don't add many of those that have a relatively small market.

7. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Marni is it possible for them to export them to Ecuador via flask and have someone like Ecuagerena apply for the CITES?

8. Marni

If they are going to be shipping in flask, a CITES wouldn't be needed in almost all instances. That is the good thing about flasks. So if they are going to be shipping flasks, wouldn't they ship them directly to a customer? I'm not sure how many people there are flasking the "botanicals" in Brazil.

9. chicago chad

I agree Marni but how likely is it that they are going to do large scale seed production and flasking if they don't have a strong customer base? With a company like Ecaugenera they could at least have a projected annual sales # that would possibly encourage the Brazilians to get at it. Plus they have their current plants in the market worldwide- expanding the potential customer base. (can you tell I am at work?!)

10. Marni

Well, Chad, that is one way of looking at it. Another is that it might not be worth the trouble.

11. chicago chad

Unfortumately for us you are correct. If they saw the potential I believe it would have already been underway. The very few 'commercial growes' that I have contacted have told me the same- that they have the plants available or at least accessible and have the ability to flask but can't get them out of the country.

My hope is that an intermediary can bridge the gap sometime in the future.