Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Podangis dactyloceras

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by KellyW, Sep 15, 2014.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I just bought one of these and it should be here Thursday. I had one years ago that did great, flowered, grew well then rapidly died. I would like to keep this one alive longer. It is coming to me in a 3" pot and I would like some opinions on whether they do better mounted or potted and how much light and water.
    Thanks.

2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

mounted, bright and dry in between lots of water. no moss or just enough to soften the plant to the mount. They tend to root rot consistently when I have seen them potted, plus the always seem to flower better on mounts for some reason.

EGOISTA likes this.
  3. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will go with Chad on this one but the best I have seen was potted, posted by the Russian-Canadian member.

4. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I've got mine bare root in a clear plastic pot. Every once I find mine has two or three leaves that seem indicative of overwatering. I try to put them where they get lots of air flow as the seedlings are only a few growths but in a five inch pot there is a much more dense concentration of foliage that I guess has inhibited drying in the areas of densest leaf. Hydrogen peroxide helps as well.

5. KellyW

Chad, Tom, Daniel ... Thanks

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Anyone know if these do better in warm than in intermediate conditions?

7. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would say yes. I have grown mine outside during the summer time for many years and they are growing and blooming.......

8. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

warm during the growing period and intermediate during the rest it woul be the optimum. Agreeing with chicago chad , I prefer it mounted on cork with bit of moss : all my Podangis are died for rot, but this is a delicate specie, when I see it on the table of a vendor or in a Greenhouse is just imported and I am not sure of the health of the plants in the Europe commerce.
    In my opinion essential is the good air flow but I think so a good light too.
    This plant come from semi-deciduous forest or often in gallery forest along watercourses, I think I always make a mistake, it need plenty of water during the growing period and a little bit of drier rest in the winter, maybe I gave it overwatering in the wrong moment.

9. KellyW

Daniel, could you please explain how you use the hydrogen peroxide in the above comment. Thanks.

10. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

H2O2 reacts with rot infected areas. Whenever we see some tissue turning that nasty dark brown rot color the immediate action to to apply 3% H2O2 to the areas affected.