Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pleurothallis thysana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

This came to me two years ago as a rescue and this is the first blooming for me. The label says Pl thysana. I've checked Luer's Icones and it is confusing to me whether this is a valid name so I have sent images to a friend to get an ID.

pl.1488.4.jpg pl.1488.3.jpg pl.1488.2.jpg pleuro1488.stack1.jpg pl.1488.1.jpg

noioi likes this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

What an incredible inflorescence. And not microscopic. I really appreciate the photo with the ruler

3. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

4. Marni

Thanks for the link CJ. I also heard back from my friend confirming the same. I don't know of any other clones at this point (please speak up if some one does know) so I will self it and hope. It really is a great species.

5. Zack

Zack Will work for plants Supporting Member

Very, very cool! I especially love the fimbriate petals and lip.

6. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Wow! That is *amazing*. I love the macro showing the whiskers inside the flower. So glad you rescued it; it would be been a real pity if this beauty were lost.

7. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

It's a wonderfully unique Pleuro!
    From the MBG page, I see that Ivan and Pepe Portilla (Ecuagenera) had much to do with the discovery/ID.

8. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

Really different! Love lip and petals. Looks like Bulbophyllum kanburiense spike attached to pleuroth leaves lol

9. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Marni, I am pretty sure Jon W. or Dale B. had posted this species before...

lovely species.

10. Marni

It was Jon, he sent his plant to me since it wasn't doing well.

11. MiKa

MiKa Active Member Supporting Member

I have admired the photos that Jon posted of this species some years ago. I keep all my fingers crossed that it will do well for you and that you are sucessful in propagating it. Please put me in line for eventual seedlings :)

12. Zack

Zack Will work for plants Supporting Member

I'm sure we'd all love to know when seedlings are available! ;) Speaking of which, what's the culture for this species?

13. Marni

I took a good look at the plant last night and decided that a three leaf plant might not be a good place to hand a pod. So I cut the spikes off and put it back in the gh.

Zack, I am growing it potted with 56F nights. It was mounted on treefern when I got it and was too stressed to take it off so I put the whole thing in bark mix in a net pot that sits inside a plastic pot. It is growing in moderate light. Hopefully next time it blooms I can set seed.

14. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

Marni's culture seems right. The Missouri Bot Gdns page says the specimen came from 1500m, making it an intermediate grower.

15. Marni

Thanks, CJ. I may try moving it to a 50F night since that's where I have the most success with 1500 m plants. A friend mentioned that there were some other species from that area so I may see what they are and if I grow them.

16. CJWatson

CJWatson Member

Ecuagenera will be in San Francisco in md-Sept and at Chicagoland a week later. You probably can get Ivan to bring you another one (for breeding or just plain loving) and possibly recommend others from the same area it was collected in. Sometimes it's difficult to get a hold of him though because he is often away at shows.