Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pleurothallis excelsa

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by orchidnick, Jun 4, 2013.

1. orchidnick

orchidnick Member

Last year it had 5 inflorescence, this year only one, Oh well. Not a mini-mini, a stately plant, one of the larger ones. The longest leaf is 36" tall.
    photo(14).JPG photo(12).JPG Over 2 years ago I bought a 3 leaf division from one of the members. It promptly made 3 new ones and lost the 3 it came with. Then it has been sitting for 2 years without any activity. Lately it lost one of the 3 leaves it has. I took it out of the pot and returned it unchanged as it has healthy new roots, just won't make new leaves. I moved it around but mostly leave it where the successful one is growing. Low light, RO water, MSU fertilizer, cool don't know what else to do.

Advice?

Nick

2. Adam

Adam New Member

How cool are you growing; what's the difference between your average day/night temps? What is the relative humidity where this is grown? How "low" is the light?

3. orchidnick

orchidnick Member

Swamp cooler initiates art 73F and keeps it below 80F. At night it initiates at 60F and tries to keep it there between 10PM and 6AM. Humidity is at 80%. Light is moderate, 60% Aluminet above clear plastic panels. There are some hanging plants above it which further diminish the light.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

I don't grow any of the "monster" Pleuros, but your culture sounds pretty much identical to mine with the exception of night temps and possibly light. My plants usually vary between 70F-78F during the day and will get as low as 48F at night; I run circulating fans 24/7, with automated misting of distilled/rain water blend (80/20) every 2 hours from 7am until 6pm. My rh typically runs in the 80% range, I usually fertilize 2x a month with a fish & kelp fertilizer. Light varies from 900-1100fc in my growing area. The pleuros that I do grow respond very well to 20F drop in night temps (I'm mostly a masdevallia guy...), so I'd shoot for cooler night temps to start and go from there.
    Hopefully the others will chime in,
    Adam

Marni likes this.
  5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I thought about replying, but I'm not sure what plant you are talking about that isn't doing well. The excelsashown here is a nice plant with many leaves, but you are also asking about a plant with apparently only 2 leaves. What plant are you asking about?

6. orchidnick

orchidnick Member

The plant I'm asking about is also an excelsa . Gets similar treatment but does not make new leaves. I'm impressed with your night temp drop. Do you force that or does it just happen where you live?

Nick

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

My suggestion would be to be sure the plant is in a relatively small pot and is staked so that it can't move or wabble (that can break new roots as they emerge), and just wait.

8. orchidnick

orchidnick Member

Thanks, Marni. I will move it to a smaller pot as you suggested, it's in a big pot.

Nick

9. Adam

Adam New Member

I'm at the southern end of the Willamette Valley in Oregon; I live about 20 minutes south of Eugene. A 20 degree drop in temperatures from day to night is the norm here except for a few weeks in late summer; my vents open at 76F and the heat won't kick in at night unless it's 43F. I wish I were in sight of the Pacific so I could move everybody outdoors for the bulk of the year, but here's good for the bulk of the cool/cold growers.