Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pleurothallis (Effusiella) brenneri

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by JohnsonS, Dec 27, 2014.

1. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

I received this one a few months ago. The flowers are larger than I was expecting - which is nice, as it makes them easier to photograph. At one point there were two buds, but looking at the plant now it seems only one of them made it. A strange note on my plant: almost every mature leaf on the plant has produced a keiki since receiving it; does anyone know if this is common for this species? I'm curious to know why it would produce so many at once in addition to the many new "normal" growths it is currently sending out…

Pleurothallis
    (Effusiella) brenneri

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alfonso Doucette likes this.
  2. Alfonso Doucette

Alfonso Doucette Active Member

I grow a related one called Pleurothallis diminuta that I recently acquired. It has not made any keikis though.

The formation of many keikis can be a response to stress. I would guess that the medium it is growing in is going bad or that it's just a response to the shock of being grown under new conditions.

JohnsonS likes this.
  3. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thanks, Alfonso.

Do you know if keikis are normally produced under "bad" stress, or can they be a sign of favorable conditions as well? Perhaps it is from the KelpMax that I have given it? I remounted it on fresh wood when I got it and it seems as though it is a healthy plant that is putting out both new foliage and root growth.

4. Alfonso Doucette

Alfonso Doucette Active Member

I think if your plant is sending up new leaves that is a good sign! My biggest worry would be that the roots have rotted but if you have new growth and remounted it on fresh would the plant should be safe.

It sounds like it might be mostly a cosmetic issue in this case. I have a Restrepia dodsonii that was sending up more keikis than I cared for. I used to trim them to keep the plant looking tidy. I've since just let it do its thing.

JohnsonS likes this.
  5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't grow P. brenneri. However, my P. palliolata does not like my conditions and rarely flowers but puts out dozens of keikis every year. I think my conditions are too warm for it.