Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pleurothallis allenii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by JohnsonS, Jul 26, 2016.

1. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

I wasn't expecting a bloom so soon on this plant!

Pleurothallis allenii

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Nice photo's,thanks, I really enjoy mine when in bloom.

3. czpana

czpana Member

Mine has gone downhill lately it was doing good since December and now it's dropping leaves like crazy not sure why

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Nicely done and photographed. For me this species does far better when maintained as a small plant. Once it crowds the pot or mount it has declined severely for me. Any thoughts?

Shaun, I checked out your Flickr photos. Stunning photography. What is your typical lens for the insect photos? I do a little bit of insect photography with much less desirable outcome. I know it takes lots of patience and being in the blazing sun a lot.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  5. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

I know you did'nt ask me, but under the individual photo's he describes his equipment, as can be seen here

And it's quite an equipment. Beautiful for macros. His spider photos are stunning.

6. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Thank you for the kind words, Kelly. I've been using an older Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro AI-S lens for my macro photos. My macro setup consists of this lens mounted on extension tubes (a combination of different lengths depending on the magnification I want) and lighting provided by a diffused flash, mounted off camera - I use this setup for insects, plants and orchid flowers. Here's an older photo of the setup I've been using for a while now (it has changed a little since this photo, but it is basically the same):

[​IMG]

It does take patience, and lots of practice, but with some experimentation you will eventually land on a setup, or at least gain a familiarity with your gear, that will result in the photos you want. And, the more you observe your subjects the easier it becomes to predict their behavior. Often times you don't need the newest or most expensive setup or even to travel to exotic places to get decent photos that you are happy with! The lens I noted above was purchased used for just under $100 and most of my macro photos have been taken within my own backyard or, within just a few miles, at local parks.

Thank you, weeand!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  7. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

You're welcome.
    Do you use this lens reversed on your extension tubes?

8. JohnsonS

JohnsonS Active Member

Not very often, usually only when photographing very small subjects like springtails.

weeand likes this.
  9. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, Shaun. I have spent many hours in my backyard photographing bees, butterflies, dragonflies and anything else I can stalk. My results are mostly mediocre but occasionally I get one I'm happy with.

Here is a dragonfly from 2 weeks ago.
    blue dragonfly1-detail-900.jpg

JohnsonS and weeand like this.
  10. carl

carl Active Member

That is most impressive.