Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Pleione

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by KellyW, Aug 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Has anyone out there tried growing Pleione in intermediate conditions? I know they prefer cold-cool but I don't know if they will grow warmer.

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Pleione maculata does well in intermediate temperatures. It is the warmest growing of the pleiones. It doesn't like to go much below 55F in the winter. Pleione praecox should also do well and though it will take cooler temperatures in the winter, low 50's are good for its dry period. It also like a bit more moisture than the others during the winter and an occasional misting works. Both of these are fall blooming. All pleiones are going to need a dry rest for the winter which makes it easier to grow some of the ones that like a cold winter since you can move them dry to a garage or other space.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, Marni. Very helpful.

4. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

One grower here takes his Pleiones and puts them in a fridge during the winter months. I doubt the fridge is set at the coldest setting but he has marvelous plants.