Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Please help identify my orchid...

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Petal, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Petal

Petal New Member

hi all, we have had this orchid for 2/3 years and this is all its ever done. never flowered we do not know what it is hubby thinks he recalls it being from peru, it was bought at a orchid nursery in the uk.

it seems to have these long trailing stems with new leaves on it not sure if it should be grown up a stick or hanging.... anyone can help ID the little devil and offer advice on looking after him would be great. Many Thanks in advance......

Attached Files:

2. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The growth habit makes it look like Oncidium globuliferum or a related species. The long vine-like rhizome is pretty distinctive. It is found in Peru and nearby countries. Since it comes from cloud forests and you can see plenty of accordion leaves in your photos, it's probably not getting enough humidity and/or water.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

The accordion leaves can come from over watering and rotting the roots off. The effect is the same as under watering: the plant isn't getting enough water up through the roots. It does look as if the bark on top is new. I think they need quite bright light to bloom.

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Petal, I agree with pcolman that your plant is O. globuliferum or one of the species in section Serpentia.

I have had globuliferum for several years without any blooms. I grow mine in warm-intermediate conditions and bright light (brighter than for Cattleya). The plant has grown quite large and seems happy but apparently not happy enough to bloom. I hope you eventually get some flowers.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Petal, if you use the search function and look for Oncidium globuliferum there are a few posts.

6. Petal

Petal New Member

wow thank you guys, looks like an impossibility to grow here then, and get flowers and ill tell him in doors to stop giving it so much to drink....now I know the species I can google for more info most helpful and ty for your speedy responses.....