Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Platystele wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by rollinkansas, Oct 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rollinkansas

rollinkansas Active Member

Hello,
    Looking for small divisions of all Platysteles besides beatricis, compacta, consobrina, densiflora, microscopica, misasiana, ovalifolia, ovatilabia, repens, pubescens, and viridis.

If you have small divisions of any others for trade or sale (especially no-ID ones), please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Sorry Mike, I haven't gotten into growing Platysteles yet. I will keep my eye open for some unknown species that come in.

3. rollinkansas

Thanks Chad,
    Im sure a lot of people dont keep them because the flowers are nothing special or impressive, but since I really only like the small foliage, I enjoy keeping the genus.

4. chicago chad

Hey, to each their own. People grow plants for all types of reasons. I can relate to liking the foliage over the flower. As I look mine over, I will take note of miniatures that fit the bill for you.

What vendors do you normally by Platysteles from? I know Ecuagenera has about 20, but I have only seen about 5 or so. Unfortunately, they are ones that don't come in so well. Just like miniature Lepanthes. It's hard to expect the super small ones to make it through the whole trip anyways.

I would be interested in getting into a few of them in the future if you could recommend some.

5. rollinkansas

Most have been from J&L and Andys, although J&L has more selection for the smaller species I think. I did get a couple from Ecuagenra, but like you said, they didnt come in that well, so I will have to pick up a few more from them. A select few others have been from other hobbyists who happened to have a species here or there.

6. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mike, you don't have P. umbellata? That's a must have if you like this genus, in my opinion. Chad, that's the one I'd recommend as a first if you were looking to get into them. That species reminds me of grapes!

I did an order with Orquideas del Valle last summer that included both Platysteles and Lepanthes. Both genera came in looking pretty good, nice size for the price as well. The only ones I lost were due to my culture issues, not import stress.

7. rollinkansas

Hey Zach,
    I knew that one would be pretty easy to find, so never bothered to pick it up...figured now is a good time.

8. chicago chad

P. umbellata is one I have ordered, but wasn't available. It's still on the list for next year.

9. MariaS

MariaS New Member

Hi Mike I have a Platystele misera still in bloom.

If you `re interested I could try to divide it. Are you located in EU?

Attached Files:

10. rollinkansas

Hi Maria,
    Thank you very much for the offer, but I am not located in the EU.

11. MariaS

MariaS New Member

This is sad. ..anyway I hope you`ll find some, from other persons ;)