Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

platystele ortiziana or umbellata?

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by ezil, May 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ezil

ezil Member

IMGP0220.jpg IMGP0219.jpg I have bloomed this one now 3 x. It's labeled as platystele ortiziana but it looks much more like the picture of the platystele umbellata Forrest has posted. What do you think? (I've only now mastered my camera enough to take pictures)
    IMGP0219.jpg IMGP0220.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Ezil, congratulations on the camera victory! However, I can't see an image. How are you trying to post them?

3. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I can't see any pictures, but these two species should be distinctly different. I have something labelled ortiziana, but I haven't bloomed it to know for sure. The umbellata looks like a cluster of tiny purple grapes. From pictures, the ortiziana only has a purple lip and the rest is more of a crystalline clear. Look up Dale's post on here for a great picture of what ortiziana is supposed to look like.

4. ezil

ezil Member

Marni and Goods: thank you for your patience. I hope the problem is fixed and that you can see the pictures.
    Every day seems to bring a new techno challenge, and I'll just keep on learning!

5. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I see the picture now, and I'm pretty confident that you have umbellata!

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Ezil, good job getting the photo up. I can see it now and it shows it very clearly. I agree that it is umbellata.