Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Platystele baqueroi

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Gabriel Urbina, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Gabriel Urbina

Gabriel Urbina Member

Finally got this species to bloom. It has a lot of buds forming, and several are on the verge of opening. One opened this morning. Probably my favorite platystele species, by far. The flower is huge for the genus and plant. This is also an update on my cushion moss experiment, seems to really like it. The plant has grown a lot of new leaves, roots and now started blooming.

20210923_153059.jpg 20210923_153841.jpg

W. Malewa, J E, ash1de and 1 other person like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Very sweet species and obviously happy. Do you fertilize much? Some mosses seem to resent that.

3. Gabriel Urbina

Gabriel Urbina Member

Very lightly. Around 1/4 strength every few days. I try to flush weekly too. No issues with the moss yet.

Marni likes this.
  4. weeand

weeand Well-Known Member

Very nice species!
    Any idea why it is blooming finally now?

Gabriel Urbina likes this.
  5. Gabriel Urbina

Gabriel Urbina Member

Seems to really like the moss mound and enclosure I put it in, I reduced the amount of air it gets, but not all the way, though I always let the leaves dry out completely after watering. Temps stay intermediate. A few more flowers opened up this morning, and I noticed some more buds.

weeand likes this.