Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Platestele alucitae (?) Colombia

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by spiro K., Jan 31, 2019.

1. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Another tiny one from Colombia.
    Seems to be Pl. alucitae, but it doesn't totally match what is pictured elsewhere.
    If anyone has any ideas....... IMG_2889 (697x1024).jpg

Fereydoon, weeand, Marni and 3 others like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Your photo does seem much closer to Luer’s drawing than most of the photos online.

Chuck

3. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Thanks Chuck, I thought so too.

4. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Oops. On second (closer) look, it seems to be either an unusual color form of Pl.stonyx, or an unknown species.So if I could edit this post, I would put instead Pl. sp. aff. stonyx.

5. Chuck-NH

Hi Spiro, what made you lean away from alucitae?

6. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Well, P.alucitae has a dark colored elongated lip that curves up like a fish hook.
    The sepals are free to the base in P. alucitae. They are joined in this plant.
    Those are the two most important differences. There are other ,minor differences as well.

7. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Hi Spiro, I agree with Chuck that this Platystele is closest to Luer's illustration of Platystele alucitae. [image from Epidendra.org]

Lepanthes alucitae Epidendra.org.jpg

Luer does not describe the lip as having an upturned lip apex but that it is acute. Even though Luer says that the lip is dark brown, I think that the colour could be variable, as we photographed Platystele posadarum at Montezuma with a yellow lip rather than the described dark purple lip. In addition, other images elsewhere online for Pls. alucitae show lip colour varying from yellow, orange to red-brown.

I think that the inner base of the lateral sepals are only connivent and not joined. This portion of the flower is hidden by the lip and it would not be obvious from the portrait view, unless you turned the flower around to look from behind. Do you have another view of the flower to show otherwise?

To me, the shape of the sepals [filiform tails], shape of the petals [narrowly linear, filamentous, acute, long-attenuate], lip [ovate, acute], proportion of the segments [lip size versus sepals and petals] all seem to me to key out as Pls. alucitae. I noticed that the petals of Pls. alucitae seem to have an unusual or characteristic wave or wriggle, which is not mentioned in the description.

As for Pls. stonyx, the lip shape [narrowly linear-ovate, acute, acuminate] and segment proportions do not seem to me to be close.

I presume that your plant was at the Orchid Conservation Alliance sponsored Reserva La Selva de Ventanas? Here is another plant of Pls. alucitae that I got a photo of at the same place.

DSC_3294.JPG

Reference: Luer, C.A. (1990) Icones Pleurothallidinarum VII - Systematics of Platystele. Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri.

I hope that helps. Gary

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Chuck-NH likes this.
  8. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Yes, of course ; and thanks Gary and Chuck.
    I confused it with P. aculeata which has an "fish-hook" lip.
    Back to P. alucitae. it is !

9. Chuck-NH

Hi Gary & Spiro, I’m just catching up on this conversation now. This is what makes the little Pleurothallids so much fun. My questioning of P. stonyx was stuck at the lip stage :). Wish I had been there to take photos as well!

10. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Nice to know that I am not the only one who has these confused-moment lapses :)