Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phragmipedium longifolium and friend

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by rico, Jul 31, 2019.

1. rico

rico Active Member

I hadn't planned to post about this plant until I found a pollinator in it; I figured that was enough to justify a thread. I began checking the flower often once the bud started to open and noticed something inside the flower when I looked today. The insect is a hover fly which is interesting and notable because it's the natural pollinator of the species and because the plant is growing far from its native South America. I went looking and found an article in an ORCHIDS magazine from 2011 about Syrphid fly pollination in Phragmipediums. I'm sure that I would not have realized the fly was a pollinator if I hadn't remembered the article. Anyway, I thought it was a cool find, and I was glad to save the fly as it was too big to have escaped on its own. Thanks for looking IMG_5760.JPG IMG_5757.JPG IMG_5756.JPG

2. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Very cool!

3. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A nice species and nice color in the petals. Gets too big for me eventually, but I do like it a lot.