Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phragmipedium hirtzii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, May 1, 2020.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I brought this plant some years ago to see if I could grow and bloom a Phragmipedium in the mountains of Puerto Rico. The plant is from Ecuador. It grew well enough and to my surprise it survived the climatic chaos that followed the destruction of the forest canopy in my locality by hurricane Maria. Many other hardier plants didn't. Since it was blooming size and yet it didn't seem inclined to bloom, I exposed it to stronger sunlight for more hours and upped the nitrogen in the fertilizer. The plant produced larger leave fans than ever and bloomed.

IMG_39953.JPG

RustyExotics, rico, GaryYG and 2 others like this.
  2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

The long twisting petals are lovely. I find this group of Phrags need to form a clump before blooming. Did you find that to be the case with yours?

Good to know this one can be a bit tough. I would not have thought that.

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

My plant has only a few growths but it is getting hours full morning sun and lots of organic fertilizer. Maybe that did the trick.

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ricardo!