Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phragmipedium besseae fma. flavum 'Queen Bee' x 'Outstanding'

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jan 23, 2019.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from a Slippertalk member, Denver, in fall 2017. The cross is from Orchid Zone. The leaves are quite yellow and it doesn't look too healthy looking with the fungal dots on the flowers at this moment. It is probably too close to the light. I'm not using a tray of water, and I keep it slightly more moist than typical Paphs. So it might do better with more water although it grows at a reasonable speed and the pot is packed with roots (as with many phrags).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Naoki,

What type of media do you use?

Chuck

3. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Chuck, I have 5 P. besseae, and some of them (including this one) is in Better Gro Medium Bark: sphagnum moss: sponge rock: home-made charcoal=8:2:1:1 (volume). But others are in Med. Bark: cheap sphagnum moss: sponge rock=2:1:1. I think I use something like this for most smaller Phrags. Phrags in larger pots are usually in just Medium bark. They seem to be ok in my cooler area (70/55F now, and 80-85/60-65F in the summer, I think), although P. dalessandroi seems to be better in a warmer room. They are still one of my favorites (especially red ones which aren't too line-bread). When I was in Durham, North Carolina, I had hard time growing P. besseae. Maybe it was too warm.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

The petals are more horizontal this year. It is in Ebb and Flow now.

DSC_9907.jpg DSC_9908.jpg DSC_9904.jpg

GaryYG, J E, Marni and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

That’s great, Naoki! I just wish I had the conditions to grow bessese here.

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I tried once when I was in Durham, but it didn't do so well. But you are pretty close to the ocean, isn't it a bit cooler than interior?

7. Ray

“A bit”, but not enough, I’m afraid.

8. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

I grow them fine in Atlanta, they're outside right now. I have a typical and a pink one. Both do pretty great, considering i don't do well with paphs so i tend to avoid slippers in general but phrags do good for me.

9. Ray

Care to share your cultural details?

10. J E

J E Jaime Escobedo

in winter keep it in a grow tent for humidity next to a southern window (although it's shaded so less light), same one i keep my phals in but i give them more light. Nothing special, room temps (probably a little warmer than most would like, mid 70s sometimes up to low 80s and down to high 60s in winter). They've always done well so i never did anything extra. From April/may to September/October ish they're outside on a shelf on my porch, northeast exposure (not ideal but the best i have). Potted in a mix of medium and small orchiata with a little hydroton/baked clay pebbles, sponge rock and spag moss added. Kept moist all the time, it does get a wet/dry cycle. Sometimes it stays wet a bit longer than it should sometimes it gets dry. Basically i don't know exactly, it gets neglected a bit, but it does well so i never changed it. Again it's not my specialty just some side plants i have. Probably has something to do with my habit to overwater. Sorry that probably doesn't help at all but i want to add that when I got my first one (Phrag. besseae pink color form) it didn't do well for the first few years (low humidity) but has since grown significantly, I started with 1 fan now it has 4+.