Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Photo theft of many of our pictures here...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Candace, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Candace

Candace Kept Woman Supporting Member

I've noticed over the last year, that I've had a large percentage of bandwidth use of my site and I've been unable to track where the use was coming from. Finally, I've tracked it down to some Russian forums and sites. They are hot-linking my photos and I see lots of familiar names and photos on this one site in particular http://translate.google.com/transla...nt=safari&rls=en&biw=1199&bih=1001&prmd=imvns

I had it translated in English. It looks like most to all of her photos, used in her commercial business are hot-linked to our sites. Now this isn't such a big deal to some, but from what I can gather, 65% of the hits from my personal site are from other countries websites that are hot linking to mine. If you don't care, no worries. Though if you're interested check out her site and see if you can find any of your pics:<

Anyone speak or write passable Russian?:>

2. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Can you block certain domains or IPs from accessing your site? Might not fix the problem for good but it could slow the thieves down somewhat.

3. Candace

I'd like to know how to do that. If someone a bit more technical could walk me through it, that would be great. My hosting service has changed over the years and there isn't any kind of blocking feature I could find.

4. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Candace, you probably have a ".htaccess" file in the root directory of your domain. The following article shows how a simple edit of that will "break" hot links.

http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/prevent-hot-linking.html

Fair warning, though: if you post photos on forums outside of your own domain via a hot link, rather than an upload to their site, they'll break too.

5. Candace

Crud. All my forum photos are hot linked. This won't work for me:< There has to be some code to block a specific site?? Thanks, Ray. It's a start.

6. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Actually, also at that site is a way to edit the .htaccess file to block specific IP addresses or ranges of them.

http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/block-users-by-ip.html

flo.com.ua is at 193.110.162.158 so the top of your .htaccess file would be:

Order allow, deny
    Deny from 193.110.162.158
    Allow from all

7. Candace

Awesome, Ray. Thanks, I'm going to try this and see what happens with my site report in a few weeks!! Stephen on ST was wanting this info. too.

8. Brant

Brant dazed

just saw this, she has been a busy lady ..
    any conclusion Candace ?

9. Candace

I actually found a way within my hosts control panel to block a specific IP address to hot linking photos. There wasn't anywhere where I could enter any html like the site Ray recommended. But, it's basically the same idea. I got my site report this week and it worked!! Of course, now she'll probably just steal the photos instead of hot-linking to them:< But yes, if someone is having this issue the site Ray linked to is great.