Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phalaenopsis lobbii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Alexey, May 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Still young plant. Hope it will grow more during this summer.

Phal lobbii 01.jpg

Phal lobbii 02.jpg

Phal lobbii 03.jpg

Oops. Typo in the name: it should be "lobbii". Kelly, would you be able to correct it? Thanks!

Gerrit, Kipper, jai and 1 other person like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Done.

Nice one Alexey. Does this grow on the warm side?

3. Alexey

In summer it was at warm to intermediate temperatures. Winter nights - up to 10 C, occasionally 8C.

Thanks again for typo correction!

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Very nice, Alexey! Interesting mount. I guess you made this? I thought that mine would flower this year, but it doesn't seem to flower. I wonder if my winter isn't cold enough. Do you reduce watering in the winter quite a bit?

5. Alexey

Naoki, I have found that many of my mounted plants required more moisture than I can give them on a classical mount. That is why Phal. lobbii and some other species are mounted with an additional layer of sfagnum moss, retaining moisture.
    Yes, I rduced watering for this plant in winter; however, no one of my orchids experienced real harsh winter rest with plant desiccation.
    As a suggestion: if it is hard for you to provide could witer rest - go with Phal parishii. It needs dry and at the same time rather warm winter rest.

6. jai

jai Orchid addict

I like your mount. Is it sort of like a slat basket? In the sense of gaps so moss can be squeezed in between the wood.