Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phal stuartiana

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Yug, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Yug

Yug Orchid Pest

I have a phal stuartiana that is in spike for the first time. I know that these have a branching habit, but this doesn't have any. When I looked closly at the stem, I noticed a 'bump' that is just
    behind the buds. Is it an immature branch, or just a swelling of the stem? It may be nothing significant at all, but I am not familiar with these.
    Phal_stuartiana_stem_crop.jpg

2. Doc Elly

Doc Elly Member

My Phal stuartiana is spiking for the second time and has not branched either time. Maybe when the plant gets older. I suppose that little bump could be the start of a branch. Time will tell.

3. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I think you're right about the maturity level. That bump might have been a case where the plant was "thinking" about branching, but didn't have the wherewithal to follow through.

4. PhalGal

PhalGal Rachel

I've had my eye on this species and its on my wish list....would love to see photos of it in bloom soon...:)