Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Phal. gigantea -- two different plants

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Reyna, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

So, I have a slight addiction to Phal. gigantea. I adore their big leaves. Here are a couple of my plants "in situ" at a my local society's show. The flowers are incredibly thick and waxy. Love 'em. Phal gigantea in exhibit March 2014 sm.jpg Phal gigantea1 March 2014 sm.jpg Phal gigantea2 Mar 2014 sm.jpg Phal gigantea3 March 2014 sm.jpg

lepetitmartien likes this.
  2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Yes, to those leaves. I heard some of the Asian vendors talking about 75cm leaves in situ. Orchid dreams.

3. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

As you can see here!!

1275197_10151954516081204_834117029_o.jpg

DPfarr, Marni and nikkik like this.
  4. Reyna

Wow -- 75 cm. I have several plants the largest has leaves that are 21 cm (8 inch) wide and 41 cm long (16 inch). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395573066.811009.jpg

Another plant has leaves that aren't as wide but are nearly 50 cm. I can't imagine 75 cm. that would be incredible.

lepetitmartien likes this.
  5. nikkik

nikkik Active Member

Great growing! Your plants are gorgeous.

6. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

I regret not having these in my life. This is the glory of Phalaenopsis to me. I wish I could still smell, I remember a synthetic candy fruit fragrance. I will try to rectify this absence through the Redlands show this spring. Recompense for the loss of life I've likely suffered without!

7. RosieC

RosieC Member

Gorgeous!

An wow, on those leaves!

8. Stanhopeus

Stanhopeus Member

Plants of Bulbophyllum phalaenopsis (and relatives) may grow leaves to 75 cms long,
    Plants of Phalaenopsis gigantea do not.

9. Seattle Steve

Seattle Steve Member

That is amazing. Where do you grow them? In a greenhouse? How much light do they tolerate? How long have you had those plants?

10. RosieC

RosieC Member

I don't quite understand this. The photo above clearly shows a massive Phalaenopsis, not a Bulbophylum. From that photo I can easily believe a Phalaenopsis gigantea with leaves 75cm long

11. Reyna

I grow them in my small greenhouse, and they get quite a bit of light. Although the light is somewhat more obstructed than my vandas, they grow in the same general area. I have about six different plants. The two shown here I've had since 2008 and 2009 respectively. They were both small, near blooming size when I got them, so they grow slowly, but not as slowly as some species.

I don't know how large the leaves can get in situ -- obviously the ones in Gilles photo are gigantic. I've never seen this species in the wild -- only seed grown plants. Given how large the leaves are on my plants, I'd think its certainly possible.

12. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

What lows do you experience?

13. Daethen

Daethen Orchid Mom

I want one of these so very bad!!!!