Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Parasite or part of the plant?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mike Carriere, May 27, 2020.

1. Mike Carriere

Mike Carriere New Member

Hello everyone. I have recently become addicted to Phalaenopsis Orchids. I have done plenty of research and I intend to give my Orchids the best environment possible so that they may thrive.

I recently purchased a new Orchid and I have noticed 2 unique growths that are only on this Orchid. I suspect that they are some kind of insect egg or a fungal growth of some sort. The 2 growths are very small and certainly neat looking but can they harm the plant? I've tried to find them on the internet but haven't come up with any results. Would anyone here happen to know what these are?

The flower that has one of these on it is damaged but doesn't appear to be damaged by this growth. The plant is otherwise very healthy.

Attached Files:

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

That is pollinia, the waxy pollen packet of the orchid flower. Perfectly normal. It resides under the anther cap on the column of the flower. In the third photo of the flower close-up it is close to its original location. Normally it would be nestled into the structure directly above it until disturbed by a pollinating insect or a curious human.

Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new addiction.

Mike Carriere likes this.
  3. Mike Carriere

Mike Carriere New Member